1973 evinrude 65 sucks water

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by brasmunky, Jan 12, 2007.

1. brasmunky

brasmunky New Member

State:
    mo but live in id
    i have a 65 horse evinrude that sucks water into the bottom cylinder while in the lake. if it is in the driveway with the water flap things on it works fine. i have no idea what the crap is wrong with it and the local marine mechanic is booked for the next 10 months. HELP ME PLEASE

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Do a compression check.

Might need a new head gasket.

3. brasmunky

brasmunky New Member

State:
    mo but live in id
    i talked to the repair shop and they said it was a powerhead gasket. i work on car engines all the time but 2 stroke is like rocket science to me

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It'll be the easiest head gasket you ever replaced. Order them both and get it done.

A butter fly type 3/8 drive impact on a low setting will help break the bolts free without breaking them. You may have to take a few other components off to access the bolts, like the coils, but it's definately not rocket science.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
  6. rudetech1

rudetech1 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Make sure you use a straight edge on the cylinder head to check for warpage. If you install a new head gasket and the head warpage, it will blow again. All you need to do is make sure it is flat. Clean off the old gasket before checking it. If it is warped, just have a machine shop mill it, it's not a costly job.

7. brasmunky

brasmunky New Member

State:
    mo but live in id
    thanks now all i need is time and thats probably the hardest thing to get