1973 6HP Johnson Outboard

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Gordhawk, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me if you can change the gear shift handle on the side of this motor. I've looked it over,and I can't figure out how you would do it. The handle got broken off by the previous owner,and I would like to get it replaced if I could. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Glenn

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I think you have to pull the power head and disconnect it underneath.

3. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Bob,
    Do you have any idea where I can get a gear shift handle for this motor? Also,how much of a job would that be to replace that handle? I just think it would be kind a neat to fix this old motor up,if it's not going to be too expensive.
    Thanks Bob,
    Glenn

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You'll also need a power head gasket and a manual. No I don't know where to get one.

5. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi Glen, I think I may have a manual for that motor. I would look on ebay for the part. Let me know if you want me to look at it sometime. Later Andy

6. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey Andy,
    Did you and your friend catch anything Wed. when you went fishing? Sorry I wasn't able to make it.
    I didn't know you worked on outboard motors. I have an old manual that I bought at a garage sale last fall,but I can't find anything in it about changing the gear shift handle. Bubbakat sent me an email address for a guy that he thinks may have a handle that will work on this motor. I sent him an email,but haven't heard from him yet. I thank you for the offer to take a look at the motor,and I may take you up on that offer,and bring it down someday. Maybe the manual you have might be better than the one I bought. I didn't look this manual over very good before I bought it,I just noticed it covered 1973 6HP Johnson motors. Oh well,I think I only gave $2 for it.
    TTYL
    Glenn

7. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi Glenn, I didn't end up going out wed I had to help Joe out of a bind he was in, and it took longer than expected. Thur it rained and so far I haven't been able to get to the river just yet, but next week looks as if it could be a good one. Let me know if you want to go, I'm tied up Mon, but outside of that nothing as far as I know.
    I play around with smaller older outboards, usually Johnson/Evinrude, and I have a few books for the 50's up thru mid 80's. So if you need some help, let me know.
    Later Andy