1973 65 hp johnson

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by SSgt Fishslayer, Feb 12, 2008.

1. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i need some help. i am getting ready to get my first catfishin boat, but it has a slight problem. the throttle control is stuck in the forward (drive) position and wont go into neutral or reverse. is there anyone that knows about these and is there anyway i can disconnect the cable and rig somethig up to get it to go into reverse and neutral? i havent picked it up yet but i am going to (its only 900 bucks) so i cant pass it up. any thoughts out there?

2. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    no help here. but, bubbakat and bobpaul really know thier shiite's. best of luck on the u.s.s. drink and sink.

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    we gonna get pics?gotsta see her now:big_smile_2:..........wish I could help you but ....I aint got a clue.Bubbakat will though I am sure

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    hopefully just a new shift cable will fix u right up!!!

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I would hazaard a guess that the linkage has been screwed with and is way out of tolerence. Other than that, it could be a frozen throttle cable. If it is the linkage, a small investment in a manual for that particular outboard should solve the problem. If it is the cable, sometimes they can be removed from their housing, cleaned up and lubricated. If not, you need to purchase a new one or a good used one. Sounds as though the motor is at a favorable price, so you could afford a few more hundred to get it top shape. LOL

6. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    the boat is set up perfect for fishing out here on the river and the little lakes. trolling motor, depth finder, not to old, not to new, and i wont have to worry about running into the weeds. lol. thats the only problem with it that i know. i will see if i can get some pics of it. i thought about the throttle cable, but it throttles back and forth. maybe it could be the shift cable? i dont know a whole lot about boats, but once i take something apart i can usually figure out how to make it work again. i am going to get it and if i cant figure it out, will just have to make sure i have pleanty of running room when i crank it up. lol. just trying to get it figured out before i pick it up so that i know where i need to start.

7. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    here she is. any ideas?

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    not to bad fer the geetis Joey.Is that a Gruman boat?

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I know you are in a hurry to hit the river with this but if you want it to last then lets take this one step at a time.

Get the model number so we can see exactly what we are dealing with here.

Is this the v4-- 65 or the two cylinder one.

Now take the cowleing off and unhook the shifting cable from the shift arm and see if it will shift that way. Sometimes the cable will break and not let it shift so hopefully this is the problem with yours. This will all be at the motor.

Another thought here and this is why I need the model number. This could be a hydro electric shift and if it is then its a whole new ball game.

10. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    it should be a 3 cylinder Lawerence has about covered the rest good luck

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Well if thats the case then I ain't needed in this one.

12. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    it is a Glasstron boat. i havent picked it up yet, i am getting it on friday. i will try and get the model number before then and see what you guys think. if not i will post it as soon as i find out.

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Willard, your probably more on the mark with that electric shift stuff. I have that on my 50. How could I ever forget that. I'd still recommend the purchase of a manual or perhaps go the the library and browse theirs. They don't like it if you get their copy greasy, and I don't know how to work on a motor without getting greasy. That manul should be just as important, if not more important, than the ignition key.

14. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    does this help? this is an email i got from the guy that owns it.

"I WILL CALL YOU THIS EVENING WITH THE MODEL # ON THE MOTOR. BUT THIS MIGHT HELP YOU IT IS 65HP JOHNSON HIDRO ELECTRIC SHIFT. AND ON THE COVER IT SAYS LOOPED CHARGED."

15. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yep sure does. It is electric shift with everything surmerged in a class c oil and it will automatically go into forward gear when the motor is shut off. While running it will have netural and reverse if nothing is wrong with the shifting solenoids.
    You will need to check that lower unit out real good and make sure it doesn't have any water in it. It will only run on a type C oil in that lower unit. Some will tell you that its the same as type C transmission fluid but they are wrong. It will work awhile on it but will fail in a short while and those parts are getting hard to come by.

16. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    so what i am seeing is that this thing might be more trouble than its worth. i am not really looking for something i will need to rip apart as soon as i get it home to try and fix it. do you think it would evn be worth messing with?

17. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Joe I aint no rocket scientist,my first boat had a 1959 30hp on it.I tinkered with it but I have kids so.....I sold the motor for 125-I paid 500 for the boat and then I went to the marinia and bought a 15hp for 875.00,it was guarenteed and totaly rebuilt ofcourse not as fast or as powerful but to get the other motor up I'd had that plus and keeping the ole one giong...?..Realy think bout it....your motor is the soul and it aint no fun if your out there stranded without a way fer help so do your homework-be paitent as you can and save all you can.Be ware of to good deals cause they bite.I will run the rest to you soon in a p/m but Now I have a different boat with the same motor,I have redone the hole trailer and total cost of it all is around 2,500 but I am 100% sure of what I have and if something goes wrong it is meant to be.I have had commercial fishers ask me if I was one of them?I run it like I stole it ....I fish that much....sometimes you get what you pay for or....Me Id keep looking and thats my take be careful buddy.....

18. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    yeah i think i am going to keep looking around for something else. i have found a few that are a little out of my price range, so it looks like i will be saving and keeping an eye out for a descent boat that i can afford. i could easily get a loan for one, but i dont really want to do that. have enough debt as it is. :wink:

19. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I run a 50 h/p with a hydro electric shift on my 17 footer now. These lower units were pretty solid units as long as they were maintained and water kept out of them. I have the test procedures for testing that lower unit but if you or the one you are buying it off of don't know the history on the motor then its all in how much you want to check as to weather or not you get a good running motor.
    The best thing to do is to familizer <(spelling) your self with what you are looking at before you drop your dollar. If the person selling you this boat told you it was locked in forward gear then I assume they bought it that way and couldn't figure out what was wrong with it and there ain't no telling what has been changed on it to try to make it work.

When boat hunting arm yourself with a good compression gage and a spark tester. You can get both at any parts store for around 30 bucks and they will prove invaluable in the future use of the motor also.