1971 7HP Ted Williams

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by Az Birddog, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Az Birddog

Az Birddog New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az.
    My buddies dad let me take home an outboard for my 10' Jon. he said if I could get it running I could have it for $50. I took apart the carb and it has some corrosion and the flap valves look worn out. I cleaned it up and slapped it back in. I did get it to fire up for about ten seconds but it seems to be flooding out.
    Now I don't know too much about 2-strokes and from what I've read these motors are not very reliable. Plus I don't know where to get a new carb from or how much they cost. Would it be worth it to try to fix it or should I save my money for a newer, more reliable motor?
    What do you guys think?

2. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hello Adam. Those motors if I recall right have 2 cycle tecumseh engines. These parts are readily available at any small engine shop. I would probably reclean the carb, and make sure the float is set right. I also take a Qtip down the needle valve hole and make sure it's polished. Later Andy

3. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Unless that Carb is a chunk of corosion and gunk. I am betting with just a litle time and TLC she would be just Fine.
    As was said they were simple solid 2 cycles back then .

Brouse around here for a bit. Lots of folks have a passion for those old Outboards .

http://forums.iboats.com/Outboards/Ted-Williams

Good Luck and hope your project goes well.

ron

4. Az Birddog

Az Birddog New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az.
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to take the carb off again and adjust the float maybe that'll do it. the only corrosion is inside, right above the bowl and it's not much. I'll see what I can do. I've been getting by with just a trolling motor so far.