1971 65HP Mercury Lower Unit Questions

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by turtle1173, Jan 16, 2008.

1. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    I took my boat out last Friday, having not used it for 5 weeks (I was having withdrawls). Motor purred like usual but I had no reverse. Forward worked fine, so I went fishing. I was thinking that maybe some water had got into the shift cable and messed something up when it froze.

No such luck. Bad news on my Lower unit. Apparently I had gotten some water in there. It must have froze because my bearing carrier (behind the prop) is cracked, which in turn also cracked the LU case on the side next to the carrier..

The bearing carrier cracking has given extra forward "play" in the prop shaft (length wise). So when I put the motor in reverse, the gear is not making contact with the prop shaft. Forward doesn't have that problem.

Provided nothing else is wrong internally, would it be possible to just replace the bearing carrier, then repair the small crack on the side of the LU?

Or am I looking for another LU? :sad2:

Thanks!

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Tough break. I bought a decent lower unit on ebay for my motor (1980 Evinrude 75) for $300. It's ebay, so you're taking your chances, but always an option if repair prices are high. Good luck with it!

Branden

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You can do that shane but if you can find an empty lower shell to put your stuff in it would be better.
    This is why I always advise to check those lower units before the first freeze and after each trip if you go during freezing weather.

4. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Any ideas on which LU's are compatible with this motor. 1971 is the last year they made a 4 cylinder 65HP. Will the 3 cyl. 65's fit? What about other other HP's and years?

I appreciate all the help.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Shane get me the serial number and I'll run the parts numbers down and see what will interchange

6. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Thank you very much willard.

The serial number is: 3074479

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    tough break good luck try ebay

8. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Yesterday afternoon I went out to see if I could remove the bearing carrier nut. I trimmed the motor up to have an easier look at it. The nut just fell right out :crazy:

Anyway, it's a wonder I didn't get stranded out on the river by losing my prop and the works out there!!

So much for just replacing the bearing carrier idea.

9. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    We have a merc dealer here and he always has junk motors to get parts off of.
    His addy is
    Fillinger Marine Servise
    8665 N US 421
    Monticello In
    Phone
    1-574-964-2400
    Hope that helps you
    Bill

10. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Willard, do you have any idea if the '72+ year models, when they went to a 3 cylinder, will fit this motor? How about any other horse powers?

Just trying to look around a little to see what I can find.

Thanks!

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I'm sorry shane I forgot all about this and I'll get on this in a few here.

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Well shane this is what I came up with. The lower unit off of the 500 series and the 650 series were the same from 1970 thru 74.

Now some of the 850 were to but i can't find any info on how to tell the difference. If you stay with the 50 h/p or the 65 h/p withen these years then you should be good to go.

13. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Thanks Willard.

That surprises me. My lower unit is a lot larger than the '88 60HP I use to have. I was thinking there might be more compatibility with larger horsepower motors.

Oh well, you learn something everyday, LOL:big_smile:

14. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    I talked to a guy that works with outboards in this area today. He told me that any of the inline 6 lower units would work on this motor. He said the 85 HP would be an exact match. The other inline LU's would work on up to the 150HP, however, the gear ratio would be different so I would likely need to change props.

Anyone have a Lower unit they need to get rid of??