1971 50HP Johnson with Hydroelectric shift

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by AwShucks, Jun 18, 2006.

1. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Good morning, all mighty guru's. Oh noble ones of the wrenches and screwdrivers. All seeing marine mechanics...(enough brownie points yet?). I recently obtained a 15' boat with the above mentioned motor...price was right, so I got the hook in my mouth and ran with it. The motor had 115/125 compression, which although not the best should still work (right?). The main problem is in trying to start the motor. When the key is turned on the solenoid clicks. Jump past the solenioid and the starter engages and turns the engine. However, the engine is apparently in gear and won't come out - something to do with the electrical system. What do I need to do to get the motor to a point it behaves properly? Is the problem in the control box? or perhaps the solenoid, or somewhere else? Oh, and as a futher thought, do you have any ideas where I can get the shop/service type manuals for the motor? Thanks

2. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Awshucks, sounds like a bad selinoid to me. I had one do this the contacts inside burnt off the shaft. I would check voltage at coil wires when switch engaged. If to low coil will not pull in enough. more later

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Alright Lawrence you had to go and dig up a head ache didn't you.:lol:

Don't feel bad I had one given to me a few weeks ago. Now on the starter. When you try to jump the solenoid did it just spin the Bendix or did it turn the motor over. You can measure the voltage on the smaller wire to see if it is putting 12 volts across the solenoid or less. Less won't get it it almost has to have 12. It can work on 9 but not less.

That compression ain't bad and is within 10% of each other. If you are just getting a click and you have already cleaned all connections including ground then the solenoid is the problem. By all means use a marine type solenoid. I will find my drawing and show you why one of these days.
    On the Manuel you can get one off ken cook site but anything you need for that engine I have that was written up by the man that owned this motor I have.

It automatically goes into forward gear until it is started again. OOPPPSS scary ain't it but ain't that big of a deal really.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Okay...it is kinda stupid to ask your advice and not follow through with your recommendations. Therefore, I replaced the solenoid...it cranks and occasionally will fire...just don't run...yet. BUT it will. Another question...on the port side of the engine are two wires... the rocket scientist who had this motor previously has disconnected the wires and taped the ends off... where should they go? They are the only two wires on the left (port) side. Do they have anything to do with it running or are they maybe the temperature sending unit wires?

5. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Only wires on the port side of my 85 is a safety switch, to keep you from starting in wot.
    Make absolutly sure your connections are tight and you have a fully charged battery. Those amps will go right now if not. They are about 200 bucks on sale!

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

What color are those wires?

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    are these the wires you are talking about?

8. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    If the wires come from wiring harness like my 67/40hp the white wire connects along with the wire from safety switch nder th flyheel to GROUND. the black wire connects to center post of vacuum switch. The safety switches are part of the starting circuit.
    The vacuum switch will not let the engine run to full throttle becase of high head pressure. On 2cyl eng the switch is as stated On v4 it is at the dist. hope this helps. icannot scan book for pictures.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Bubbakat, it was picture #2. I'm not sure what the other brothers are even referring to...I'm a catfisherman...my friend, FuzzFace is the motor guru. LOL

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The picture #2 is showing where they originate. Picture # 1 is where they hook up to. The color should be purple and purple and white. They go to the junction box in the #1 picture and the cover has the markings on it to let you know where they hook up. If your cover is missing then I will go and look at mine and count the post to see where each one hooks up to. I am going to have to read up on the purpose of those wires. Hopefully bob will step in a tell us what they are for before I get a head ache trying to read and think at the same time.

By the way that is pictures from my own motor that was given to me. Mine is the anniversary model. Thinking about making me a good cat boat out of it.
    Like I need another boat.

11. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    FYI, I have a 1968 55hp Electric shift motor that runs great, just needs a lower unit. $200 takes it away! Also, the lower unit you have should fit this unit.

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Well Bubba, I am now on the second verse. We (my friend) got the motor to start and run. Problem is it starts in gear now. So, we went into the control box and found the switch in there to be fairly messed up. No sweat. Trip to our friendly Evinrude/Johnson dealer revealed it was called a shifter switch and the motor is no good without one. Kicker to the pants was they wanted $236.00 for the switch. You have any idea where I can pick one up for substancially less than that...talk about getting raped.

13. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Try these people lawarence. They are a little pricey on some parts and good on others. I guess its supply and demand thing. You might try e-bay but this group I deal with here are honest folks and have just about anything you need.

http://www.twincityoutboard.com/

14. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Okay, Bubba. We got the shifter switch and installed it. The motor starts and runs pretty darn good now. One more problem, when you move the throttle to the full forward position, and then return to neutral, it won't start. You can hit the item pictured below towards the front of the engine, little tap, not heavy, and it jiggles just a little. The motor will then start until the throttle is moved again. Have no idea what this part is... You?

Also, hidden behind this linkage is an electrical switch...what is it for? Ordered the shop manual, but no telling when I'll get it.

15. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Here is the pictures. grrrrrrr

Attached Files:

16. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Does the switch have a yellow wire with a red stripe? If it does, it would be a nuetral safety switch.

17. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
  18. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Bob, the switch I was referring to has a solid tan wire which runs from the top, small outlet on the selonoid to the switch. Is there anything under the flywheel which may be effected by moving the shift lever? The pics are not that great, but we was referring to the linkage where it looks like idle speed is adjusted. If we bump this towards the front of the motor, it starts. Don't have to hit it hard, just a solid tap. Real weird.

19. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    The base that the points sit on rotates as you move the throttle, thats where you time it at. At least for mine it is. I have the O.M.C. shop maual for 1969 85 hp and I think they are the same. I have the cylmer manual as well. Of course with Bob Pauls knowledge, you probably dont need my help, but if I can help let me know!