1970 evinrude 115hp

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by South Grand Laker, Jan 8, 2010.

1. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i'm looking to buy a 1970 evinrude 115hp outboard from a guy, he says everything has been rebuilt and the motor runs good, except he says it needs a carriage bearing, just wondering if it's a good motor or not, and what is the carriage bearing? don't know what one is or were he says it's about 100 bucks, gonna get the motor for 200 sounds like a good deal

2. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    The carriage bearing is what allows the motor to pivot on an its axis for steering. I have seen this miss-diagnosed before. When in fact it was nothing more than the steering cables.

The V-4 OMC motors where of a crossflow design. This motor should have the side draft carbs 2 of them. The motor you described was an upgrade from prior years. Coming with a split case with exhaust traveling through the prop hub.

Have a good marine wrench do a compression check on it. Check the splines on the shaft.

The OMC V-4, 88-140 hp outboard was one of the best ever made by any one. Parts are available.

The price is right. But do your self a favor pay some one to check it out.

{EDIT} Oh, just so you know that carrier & bearings will cost you around $200. If it were me I wouldnt consider used. If there is much else wrong you might want to pass.

Jeff "Kawriverrat"

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010

3. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    well i went ahead and got the motor, the guy explain the carrier bearing to me and said it was behind the propeller or inside it take the prop off and there's two bolts or pins and then to back to back seals or rings, which one was shorter or not long enough, which he said it dumps the oil out and keep the water in, or something to that extent but it needs not to pump the oil out, that's all i know about that until i get into hookin the motor all up and stuff

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You've sure got me lost. I wish I knew what question to ask. Good luck Bubba.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Need a model number and is that motor an electric shift. You have me lost on the carrage bearing. Was the PO talking about the oil in the lower unit.

6. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    Propshaft carrier..... the part that holds the propshaft strait and keeps the oil in the LU, exhaust go's arround the outside of it, is what im thing he's talking about..
    I got an old one that come off of a 50 hp electric shift for parts, havent seen it in a good while, not sure if the carrior is there or not

Also I think he is tring to discribe the 2 propshaft seals, one is to kep water out and the other is to keep the oil in, and they are back to back to each other,,, less than $20 for the two

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010