1969 Johnson 55HP Water Intake Screen?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Cutter, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Cutter

Cutter New Member

State:
    Hickory, NC
    Is it hard to change the water intake screens when replacing the impeller? The screens are gone in the motor me and Michael are working on.

Tony

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Are you talking about the screens on the leg where the water flows down to the pump after it is surmerged? If that is what you are refering to I might have some. I will look on the old motor I have but it will be a couple days until I can get up there to ck.

3. Cutter

Cutter New Member

State:
    Hickory, NC
  4. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    the screens are made of plastic on the Johnson and i guess they set and got weather cracked and busted out over time.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I'll ck but I am pretty sure I have some good ones on an old lower unit or should I say a no longer used good lower unit. You guys are welcome to them if they are good and if not I will tell you how to make some from screen wire. Not the small closed fly type but the bigger type.:big_smile:

6. Cutter

Cutter New Member

State:
    Hickory, NC
    Thanks bubakat we figured it should have the screens replaced to keep the larger trash from getting inside and messing up the new impeller. If you have some we sure can use them. The homemade screens sound good to! I know it need something there.

Thanks!

Tony

7. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I was wondering if those are even nessessary, my 2005 Mercury doesnt even have them on it. All there are is holes there. To me IMO the screens would make it easier to block the passage of water if even a big blade of grass gets caught around the front of the lower unit.

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Depends on how large the intake hole is on the pump. Those early models like he has had a pretty large intake hole and needed the extra safty feature of the screen. When you have a pressure gage install on those outboards of any kind you can see the water pressure drop and then you can set and idle it in reverse and it will clean most of the derbish from the intake screen.