1969 85 HP evinrude

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by brother hilljack, Dec 27, 2007.

1. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I need some help. I recently bought a 1969 85hp evinrude. It appears to be in great condition (very clean) and the previous owner states that it runs fine. I was trying to start it today and so I hooked up a set of controls off of my 1973 Johnson 65 HP (both are electric shift). Both plugs are marked B3 and seem to match. When I crank the outboard continuously it does nothing, HOWEVER, when I let off of the key it fires a few times. When it does fire the flywheel goes forward as normal and then in reverse (inches in each direction). If it fires multiple times then it goes back and forth. Could you please tell me what could be making it do this. Are the controls wrong? Is it flooded? Or is my timing off? Perhaps my compression is screwed up(have not checked at this time)? Any help would be appreciated.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Shane, not to sound as though I am a broken record, but the first thing you need to get is a manual for the motor. This book will have all types of checks and adjustments that should be made to set the motor for its optimal performance. Just one of the checks could be out of tolerence and it will foul up the entire procedure. The link and sync adjustment is basically your timing adjustment on these evenrudes. And although the motor looks clean, that tells you exactly nothing except its not dirty. LOL. You need to run a compression test for each cylinder, and record the results somewheres that you can readibly access them again.. like on a piece of that white red cross type of tape. Stick it inside your cowling. You also should get a spark tester at your local auto parts store... costs about $7.00. Those two items (compression tester and spark tester) are probably the most important thing you can have for a gas powered engine. Use them anywhere, use them everywhere.

Now it seems silly, but for Bubbakat or other mechanics to help you with an engine problem, you should always provide them with the year, make, model and serial number. Without that, their manuals are just pieces of paper with print and drawings on them.

It don't sound like you got a bad motor, just that it is going to need some TLC to be resurected from the dead. LOL

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I not sure what could be the problem. When you continually crank it , you said it does nothing. This doesn't sound right. It should crank right then. And when you let off the key it fires? something not right. Try pulling the motor with a pull rope and see if it will fire up then. I had a 1967 60hp evinrude. It had sat for 20 yrs. the lower unit was solid rust, We took off the lower unit and cleaned the points and plugs. Pulled the rope and she fired right up. I then replaced all the lower unit parts myself. Ran that motor for many years ,til a sunken log on the cumberland river tore up the lower unit again.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Go back to the motor and release the big plug that hooks the motor to the control box and short the solenoid out and try starting it. You will have to manually choke it but if it starts then you need to switch the kill switch wires but we will get to that if it starts after unhooking the control box.
    If it tries to start after letting off the switch I suspect either the switch is bad or its wired wrong for that motor. You will need a high amperage battery to start that engine because it has to turn 300 rpm's to start. The switch box lets the fire for the motor flow from the solenoid to the box and with a low battery it will back track and not reach the box until you release the key.

Now get me a model number so I can check to see which wire goes to where
    Oh BTW If it does start then you will have to choke it down but don't let it set there and run out of gas.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I disconnected the controls and attempted to start the motor by shorting the solenoid. It turned over but made NO attempt to start. Just for good measure I reattached the controls and tried that way again and the results are the same as above. The model number is 85993 E I am pretty sure that model is a 1965 85 HP Evinrude. Just a not: the battery is good and it turns over plenty fast enough (300 RPM). Thanks for your help.

6. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    there is a site online that you can order parts and they have a troubleshooter page on it also,it tells you everything to look for i have a 1975 evenrude 70 hp,and it helped me bring life back to mine give it a look see,its:Boat Part Store.com,,,its a great site might want to put it in ya favorites..

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That is a 1969 motor and I'll have to dig out my book on this motor here in a little while. If it turns out to have the points under the flywheel I would suspect those are dirty. That makes it hard to fire and not right on the fireing. You need to do a spark test and a compression test on it. How long has it sat since it ran at all.
    Thsoe systems were simple and easy to fix. Just a little work to be done.
    I'll get back with you in a little bit on this.