1969 55HP Johnson Carburetor Rebuilding?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Cutter, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Cutter

Cutter New Member

State:
    Hickory, NC
    I Just recieved my carb kits today and im fixing to start working on rebuilding all 3 carbs on my motor. I have a repair manual and carb cleaner.

Just wondering if theres anything that I need to pay close attention to when im rebuilding them that the manual might not cover closely?

Thanks!

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    YES ... do one carb at a time. The parts look interchangeable, and to a degree they are... but if you foul it up, it is fouled up good. Keep the parts in separate containers while soaking in carb cleaner, and as you take one out and dry it off, put it in a zip-lock baggie until you are ready to re-assemble the carbs. Also, mark carb #1, #2 and #3 and put them back exactly where they came from - will make connecting the linkage one heck of a lot easier. Pay attention to all the little holes and make sure they are cleaned out good. Use compressed air and soft materials like straws so you won't accidentally enlargen the hole. Other than that, get the cuss jar out and every time you cuss, put a quarter in the jar. LOL Instant riches.

3. Cutter

Cutter New Member

State:
    Hickory, NC
    Lawrence thanks for the valuable info! I hope I don't need that cuss jar. LOL

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Be sure to watch how you set the floats. Those little alum. Core plugs need to be removed and cleaned and replaced. Take a small drill bit and drill thrugh the core plug but not to deep and make you a hook tool and jerk those out.
    When reassembling put some liquid brown gasket sealer around the little core plugs and take a mandrel a little smaller then the plug and knock them back in. They have to be dented in at the top of the dome just ever so slightly.

Other then that lawerence said it all.

5. Cutter

Cutter New Member

State:
    Hickory, NC
    Those plugs I figured would be the roughest part of the rebuilding.

Thanks for the info Willard!

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    If you drill through and damage the carb, yer screwed. Be very careful.

7. Cutter

Cutter New Member

State:
    Hickory, NC
    Im being careful Bob. I have one carb off got it all disassembled and the plugs remove. Got it soaking in carb cleaner. Im just gonna unbolt one carb at a time. When I get the first one done i'll install it then remove another and start on it.

Thanks to all for the help!

8. Cutter

Cutter New Member

State:
    Hickory, NC
    Well got all the carbs rebuilt. Ran the motor on the muffs today trying to fine tune the slow speed needle valve. Didn't quit get that done motors to load out of the water. LOL I'll tune on it when I head to the lake. All seems good.

Thanks you to all for the help!

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You final tune up is in the water.

Put it in forward, idle speed, adjust to get the best running condition.