1968 Johnson Meteor L/U seals.

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Gary S., Dec 9, 2005.

1. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Was wondering since I've never been inside a lower unit, is changing the seals something that can be done without much outboard experience. I'm pretty decent with my hands. I do 99% of my automotive repairs myself, since that's what I went to school for yrs ago. But I don't want to open up this lower unit and have something fall out. If I didn't see where it came from, I'll have no clue where or how it goes back in.

Thanks for any help you may offer.

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    its really not that hard of a undertaking to reseal a lower unit. best advice i can give you is buy a shop manual for it first read it and then reread it a few more times make sure you got all tools needed then take your time refer to the book as your do it.

3. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    yes you need a book because some motors you need to put in reverse an some you leave in nutural befor you can remove the lower unit if you dont know where your motor needs to be an you dont get it right you will not have any gears when you get out on the water. an if you are going to pull lower unit go ahead an put in new water pump too for this should be done every 2 years anyways an a water pump is only about 5 to 15 bucks.. dropping the lower unit is easy an should only take you about 2 to 4 hours because you have never done it befor. but the most important parts is making shure you get your water pump tub on right an you forward an reverse shaft in correctly ( dont bind an dont force ) it should push right in if right.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Gary, a Johnson meteor is what HP?

5. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    OOOps sorry for that omission. It's 115hp Bobpaul.