1968 Evinrude 9.5

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by ozzyso44, May 23, 2009.

1. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    I have an Evinrude that I have leaking lower unit oil and the oil is milky white when I change it. Are there any tips that one could give me as I take on this project.

I already changed out the water pump, impeller, and gave it a tune, but you know something else sometimes pops up.

I love this motor as I bought it off my grandpa's estate and learned to fish on this boat. Any help much appreciated. Thank you

2. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    u have a seal or seals leaking in the lower unit ...... there is one under the water pump and one behind the propeller ..... ....best i can offer ........... good luck ..

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Before you start tearing it down again did you change the two gaskets behind the fill and drain screw when you changed the oil. Those two are most time the biggest culprits. I have an exploded view of the lower unit on those old punkin head motors. They are good motors.

4. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    It has blue nylon washers behind the screws. I have not changed them in some time. I will take a closer look, but the leak seems to be coming by the prop.

Thanks so very much.