1967 Merc.20hp -flywheel adjustment

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Leakyboat, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Hey BobPaul,
    What is the best way to get to a starting point,on the timing,if you have had the flywheel off of the powerhead.Can you do it by positioning the flywheel in a certain spot with the points open, at the widest spot.Or am i totally lost,Had someone tell me you can do this way.
    Ernie

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Earnie if I am not mistaken on the smaller h/p earley mercs the timming was unadjustable.
    The only way the time would be out is for the fly whell key be sheared off or have a good indention in it.
    You have peaked my curosity here and I am going to prowel thru my old manuels to have a look see.
    I haven't worked on a merc in a coons age but a little reading will catch me up.

I know on the old 500 with the distributor they were timeable.
    I sorta remember you could use a dial gauge to find top dead center on yours.
    Bob will be thru here shortly and enlighten us both.
    I have several books on those old mercs and if you need to know a procedure or anything just pm me.

3. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

What i had happen was,the cable tie broke,holding the plug wires,well i broke the pull rope and took the wrap around cowling off,when i put it back on,i pinched one of the plug wires,and it rubbed and burnt the plug wire.I replaced the wire,so we went ahead and checked the points and everything while we had it apart,ended up they looked like new,put everything back together.Now not getting fire at all.Check everthing twice,was thinking i got it out of time.Had the flywheel off,is the reason i think it may be out of time.
    Ernie

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Being out of time should not stop it from firing, just make it fire out of time.

If you put the flywheel back on with a good key in place on the crankshaft it should be in time.

I do know that there's an ignition module that wires up from under the flywheel on the 9.8 mercs that will cause irratic or no fire.

Check all your wires for proper and tight connections. Check the movement of the timer base to be sure there's no other wires grounded.

Hopefully Bubba's got some more info from his manual's.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Alright Ernie I finaly found the right manuel.
    Look at your wiring under the cover and find a blue and white and a blue to one of the coils and make sure they aren't grounded out some where
    On the other coil there should be a green white and a green do the same thing. Those go from your coils to the switch box

You should have a white and a brown wire going from the box up to the trigger make sure those aren't grounded out. The box itself should have a black wiregoing to ground from the box itself.

Out of the switch box there is an orange wire that goes up to the stator and back down to the kill switch if it is touching any thing that is a bare wire it will not fire..

One of the first things I do is take the orange wire loose from the kill switch and then I see if I have spark if you do then a bad kill button or switch.
    Do this ck and in the mean time I will work up a thing for you to test the switch box that has all the wires running to the coils and trigger and stator.

Let me know what you find. If it was fireing before I would say you have a wire pinched under the flywheel somewhere.

There is a torque setting for that flywheel and when I find the number be sure when we get this fireing to tighten that fly wheel down as specfied or it will either come off or keep shearing fly wheel keys.

6. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Hey Willard,
    Thanks for the help,it will probably be Saturday before i can work on it,we have been working some long hours at work.I'll go over what you got me and
    let you know.Thanks again!
    Ernie

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    When you get this back to running be sure to torque the fly wheel down to 35 ft. pounds.