1966 mercury 9.8

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by thecatman, Sep 14, 2009.

1. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    how easy is it to weld the swivel bracket on this ole motor

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That I couldn't answer. Take to a good aluminum welder and ask them . The worst case they say no way.

3. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    was told it could be welded if they didnt have the part but have called several places and none of them have the part going to one more shop to see if it can be fixed

4. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'd look around on eBay for a used one, there are a lot of parted out old motors up there, you could probably get one as cheaply as it is to weld your old one and it will be better than any welded unit no matter how skilled the welder

I cracked the reed block on a '76 Merc 200 in late June, $200 dollars for a new one but I looked around on eBay and found a good used one for $50 that included the reeds and reed stops ... It saved me $150 plus whatever it would cost to replace 2 reeds and stops. It cost me another $25 for the gaskets so for $75 I was up and running again and this motor runs like new .... Those old Mercs were real good motors and usually underrated, I know I pull away from a guy I know who has a similar boat, less weight (No decks, floors and carpeting like mine) and a newer 25 HP Merc since I put in the replacement reed block