1966 6 hp johnson

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Rockin' Blues, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    i ve had this motor sitting around for about 10 years,it started up but i noticed oil coming from the seal were the prop shaft goes thru.after pulling the bottom off the oil is creamy,shop wants $200 + parts.how hard is it to replace just the seal,can i do this without a press.:crazy:

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You sure can and do you have a manuel for this unit? They aren't that hard to work on. If its been sitting for ten years was it stored with all the fuel drained. Those carbs were made to made to feed the exact amount of fuel and any deveation from that causes a lean or rich burn and considering that engine was built with the temp to run at a correct range you could come up with a over heat problem.

3. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    yes,I have a CLYMER Evinrude/johnson outboard shop manuel 1.5-125hp. 1956-1972.I took the screws out of the bottom,the shifter is still attached,I am trying to see how to get the seal out.The book says remove gearhouse head or seal housing seals with appropriate remover.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I'll look through my shop manuel tomorrow and get back to yea. I have to go to bed now 330 comes early for this old man.:tounge_out: