1964 Evirude Starting Need Help

Discussion in 'Boating' started by jailcop2, Oct 26, 2008.

1. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Hey all , took my new used boat out for her maiden voyage yesterday . It has a 1964 9.9 Evinrude with 5 hrs on a rebuild . I had put a gallon of fuel mix in the tank since it is getting so close to winter . I am not at all savvy to outboards but thought I could figure it out . Pumped the bulb some and choked it , gave it a pull and it popped off then died. This happened several times but could not get her to keep going . My lovely wife offerd to go get more gas , thinking it may not have enough to to keep a flow going , still did not work. Called the guy I got the boat from and he said he had to feather the throttle some to start it . The bulb never got very solid , not sure if this is normal , also how should the vent cap be for priming and running . any other suggestions would be appriciated, I believe it will be alright if I can once get it running .
    Thanks
    Brian

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Is there by chance a shut off valve on the fuel line.?Blub should pump up hard I do believe ,mine does. vent cap should be open when starting or running motor,Don't do like I did forget to open it and sucked sides of plastic fuel tank in. Other than that I can't help much. Someone will be along I'm sure.Let us know what you figured out..

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If that is indeed a 1964 model then the guy who sold it to you lied right off the bat. It may be a punkin head 9.5 but they didn't make the 9.9 until around 73 or 74 I do think but on to the problem. The bulb should pump up tight. If it doesn't then look for leaking fuel some where from the tank to the carb. A rule of thumb it will leak after the bulb but will suck air from the tank to the bulb and also did you have the choke pulled out.

4. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Did not have the choke pulled out while priming , I did notice I could hear air where the line connects to the engine , was told by someone else this is not an issue ?

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That air at the connection is an issue I would see about another connection they aren't that high and as for as it being a 9.5 they were good motors don't know of but one issue that plagued them. Post the model number and i'll run down the age for you

6. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Bubbakat , appriciate the help . I have estabished the fact that my gas line from the tank to the motor is open , also that no matter how much I pump the bulb ,I don't get fuel to the sediment bowl but can see the air going in ...just no fuel.Will have to go back out to get model # .

Thanks
    Brian

7. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Seem to have eliminated the air noise at the quik connect , put a real hose clamp on it , but still no fuel . Also was wondering how much fuel line is needed, this looks like new hose but there is probably3ft of it and its only 1to 2 ft from the motor ?

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It may be the carb float is stuck in the up position, shutting off the flow of fuel to the bowl. Definetley look at that first, then see if perhaps a mud daubber did a job on any of you fuel lines/fittings. Check the pick up tube in the fuel tank as it may be damaged.

9. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Thought I had the air leak at the quick connect fixed , I didn't . still can't get fuel to the sediment bowl . I pulled the tank open and didn't see a pick up tube or a place for one which seemed odd but I am new to the outboard scene. By the way , it is an Evinrude Sport Win.
    Thanks Again ALL
    Brian

10. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    If I remember right some of the older model engines had seperate fuel and air lines, might want to make sure they aren't crossed, but if it's a one line system, you can push in the ball valve on the end of the connector and squeeze the bulb and see if fuel comes out, this way you'll know where to start working.

11. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Thanks for the help guys , got it figured out :eek:oooh: