1963 Starcraft HELP!

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by whitewhiskers, Jun 24, 2006.

1. whitewhiskers

whitewhiskers New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    went to start my boat for the first time this year and found i have a cracked block, this is from bieng in a hurry and not draining ALL the water out last fall. my Q is where is a good place to start looking for another motor? its a 110hp GM single carb. a short block would be fine but would prefer a full motor so all i have to do is a swap. any help would be great. and yes feel free to call me any names that have to do with gray matter and procrsta...prokastra... i'll look up how to spell that later.

2. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Look into GM crate motors. I got a new (not rebuilt) longblong for $1300, can't remember if it was from Jegs or Summit Racing. 3 year/36,000 mile warranty (which may not apply to marine usage). Just an option..........

Smitty

3. whitewhiskers

whitewhiskers New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    it has to have a "water jacket" so i dought if Jegs has onel, if they do i bet it would do the quarter in 11.9:lol: thanks anyway Smitty:smile2:

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Never use a car engine in a boat. They are built entirely different.
    Take your car or truck out on the highway and stomp on the gas, run it wide open for extended periods then stomp it again and again and again.
    Get the picture?

5. whitewhiskers

whitewhiskers New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    so... anybody know any sites for used inboared marine engines?..BOB?...Bubba?, or is it possible to fix a cracked block? its under the water jacket on right side its about 6in. long n thin.

6. whitewhiskers

whitewhiskers New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    bob r bubba, found a few good sites. i need to know if a gm 2.5 153ci will work and will the water jacket fit? ie bolt up. i'll get the#s off mine n post. thanx WW.

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Sorry, but I know very little about stern drive.

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    In 1951 my father patched up a freeze damaged block on a 41 Dodge and drove it for 5 more years.They have much better sealers today.JB weld and such can be looked up and searched on the net.Check out the details on each and give it try.A few dollars is all that you have to lose.You have thousands to gain if it works.peewee-williams

9. whitewhiskers

whitewhiskers New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    i guess i need to tear it down, take head off n see if there's a crack in the cyclender wall. if theres not one i might try weldin it up. i've found a remanufactured motor in Gary in. for $1600 delivered to my door. also i seen a GM 4cyc. 470 that looks like it might work for $500 that come out of a wrecked boat gotta check the bolt pattern on drive.

10. Ecfool

Ecfool New Member

State:
    California
    Another place you may want to look for a used short block or a decent block to rebuild would be a Hyster forklift. The H60XL model uses the same block as the marine version of the 110 engine. The head is the same the main difference is the intake and exhaust manifolds. The 2.5 GM is slightly different.
    Another route to take if your decent at welding would be to weld or have the block welded. I had an older International CO1800 with a block that cracked from welch plug to welch plug and with proper preheating and using nickle rod and carefull root grinding managed to repair the crack and ran the truck for another 100000 miles with no problems other than being a dahmm cornbinder.

11. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    My Dad used to weld them up for other people, he would use a rosebud torch and preheat the area, use a nickle welding rod, and when he was almost done he would rub ag lime over the area to seal the micro cracks that would develope. Good luck Andy