1963 johnson motor 75 hp

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by catfishman352007, Mar 30, 2008.

1. catfishman352007

catfishman352007 New Member

State:
    ARNOLD/IMPERIAL
    i have a 1963 johnson motor75 hp i have to prime it to get it to start then it will die anyone have a clue to what it might be if so hit me back i could use all the help i can get
    thanks and happy fishing to all

2. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    I had one years ago that acted that way and I had a carb kit put in it and it worked very well well for about 5 years, I guess thats was about the lenght of its life.
    It blew a power head and I got rid of it. Hope it helps.

3. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    does your motor have 2 lines coming off of the fuel tank of just 1? i am thinking that your motor should have a pressurized tank and if you have an air leak in the tank or 1 of the lines it will not pressurize the tank... if it is this type it wont even have a fuel pump..

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    It use the single line tank. I would start with all fuel lines and connections and check all the lins all the way into the tank. Guys those little pick up tubes in the tank under the outside fitting can and will go bad. If those fuel lines are over 2 years old then change them out. Those old white elephants that you have one of were real perticular about how the carbs were set so if you are some one has been fooling with them them screw both the high and idle speed screws all the way in and crak the open about I1/2 turn. Put you some J6 plugs champion only in it. gap them at 30. Those engines won't run on any thing worth a hoot except a champion plug. You need to rebuild that carb and fuel pump if that motor has sat over a year and a half.

5. catfishman352007

catfishman352007 New Member

State:
    ARNOLD/IMPERIAL
    i replaced fuel lines and fuel filter and still not wanting to fire over and ideas would be greatly appriciated

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Just curosity, but what type compression do you have on that motor?