1963 Gale 40hp

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by ksutroubleii, Mar 13, 2006.

1. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    I just got a really good deal, maybe. A homemade boat trailer, a 1963 Lone Star fiberglass boat, and a 1963 Gale 40hp motor. All for $100. The trailer is in really great shape. The boat is in decent shape (needs a paint job). The motor hasn't been started in about 7 years. It was winterized and then stored. Can anyone direct me to where I might be able to get a manual for this motor? Any info about the boat and/or moter would be greatly appreciated.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    What I have found is that gale engines were built by OMC in the sixties and are the same as evenrude and johnson.

That will make that old engine a little easier to find parts for.
    Do you have a way to take me a couple pictures of the engine without the hood on it . I will ck with a good friend of mine that worked on omc engines for thirty year5s and see if the still required the 24:1 mix for the 63 gale.
    One more question is this a 4 cylinder or a 2 cylinder.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    If it was an OMC product, I'd suspect that 40 hp would be a 2 cyl with a possible automatic choke like the Jonson/Evinrude models had at that time.

They also had a remote starter solenoid, mounted in a box in the boat, w/no charging system.

I remember the Lonestars of the 50's. They were a lapstake boat of wood and of good quality.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Man bob you sure jarred my memory when you started talking about those old boats.:)

Well floyed I checked with my friend with all the omc knowledge and he said that that 1963 gale came out with the right type bearings to run that motor on a 50:1 MIX

I would go get me a new set of J6C plugs and gap them at 30 and do what I posted in the link I gave you and fire that thing up.

6. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    Here are some pics:

Attached Files:

7. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    Here are a couple of more:

Attached Files:

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yep floyed that is an old 2 lunger evenrude spin off called a gale sovergen(sp)

That is a pretty reliable old motor. Will run on 50:1 fuel mix and j6c plugs.

Be sure when you start her to make sure the lower unit is completely surmerged in water because the water pickup on those old gals had to be under water not enough room to put muffs on it.
    Good deal for a hundred bucks.

Be sure to change the lower unit oil and put a new impeller in it. Any napa auto parts store has the searra book to order parts for them.
    Go thru the steps and fire that beast up. Now don't expect good gas milage because they weren't designed for that.
    That old 2 cylinder will have the sound of a v4:)

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You can still get the attachment for that engine so you can run it on a hose,
    It fits over the water pick up right behind the prop and is held in place by a peice that fit's on the back end of the anti cav plate and attaches to the flush unit with 2 springs.

The unit usiually comes with 2 sets of springs for different size engines.

I ran a 64' 40 hp Johnson for several yrs in salt water.

10. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    If I can't find, or don't want to pay for the attachment, how far down in water does it need to be to run it properly. I of course want to test it and make adjustments before I get it to the lake.

I should add that this my first gass outboard. My jonboat only had a trolling motor for power.

And 'Thank you' you guys have been very informative.

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you will look right below the flat plate that is right above the prop alon the side there should be a small opening that has either small slits in it or round holes. Can't remember which. That is the water pick up just make sure that it is below thw water line and don't reve that engine up while it is in the barell. Wait until you get it in the water. If you don't live to far from the ramp pick a good quite morning and ease it down in the water but leave it on the boat to make your adjustments.

Look in that post I gave you the link to above and it should have the adjustments for the carbs in it.
    Good luck with it. If you have any more questions don't heastate to ask.