1957-vs-2007

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Big Sam, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2007

Scenario :
    Jack goes quail hunting before school, pulls into school parking lot with shotgun in gun rack.
    - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.
    - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to
    Jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for
    Traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario :
    Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.
    - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.
    2007 - Police called, SWAT team arrives, arrests Johnny and
    Mark. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario:
    Jeffrey won't be still in class, disrupts other students.
    - Jeffrey sent to office and given a good paddling by the Principal. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
    2007 - Jeffrey given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. School gets extra money from state because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario:

Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.
    1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.
    2007 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang. State psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has affair with psychologist.

Scenario :
    Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.
    1957 - Mark shares aspirin with Principal out on the smoking dock.
    2007 - Police called, Mark expelled from school for drug violations. Car searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario:
    Pedro fails high school English.
    1957 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes to college.
    2007 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files Class action lawsuit against state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English banned from core curriculum. Pedro given diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario:
    Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from 4th of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up a red ant bed.
    - Ants die.
    2007- BATF, Homeland Security, FBI called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, FBI investigates parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated, Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario:

Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.
    1957 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
    2007 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

2. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Times have changed and not for the better

3. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I couldn`t dispute any of the scenarios.

4. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Has nothing to with the time's it HAS everything to do with the mom's and dad's that go with the change!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i would say your about 90 percent right,catpaw.the other ten percent is these people making it look bad on parents for whipping their children and the people who overreacts to most of what goes on.

my dad probably,well i know he did,beat me too hard with his belt,he broke one of his leather ones on my butt.i am not perfect,but i have a pretty good life with a great wife and three kids,i would do it all over again.he kept me pretty well straight and on the narrow.you mouthed off,in public or not,you got what you deserved.
    there is a difference between beating a child and whipping them.these people who are causing all of this should be whipped,maybe it will straighten them out,,,,,,,,,,,:roll_eyes:

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for this insight, Got my butt whipped didn't hurt me.............my kids will get their butt whipped..................Don't care what other people think!!

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Its sure a different world, I liked the simple times...

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I remember those days. Bomb threats were pretty frequent, and I was really into photography. If I had my photo stuff in my locker, I always worried that they would open my locker and totally freak out, what with the strange containers connected by coiled wires, etc. (electronic flash). That would have been funny until they drenched it with water.

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Big Sam,

Funny about that, since you're from Booneviile. The above almost same thing happen to me at Booneville High School in 1951. Only difference he was just a math teacher and I didn't have a gun rack. Don't remember seeing gun racks until years later. :smile2:

10. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Oh boy, don't get me started on this topic!!!!:angry:

We are raising a bunch of entitled, disrespectful, lazy and underperforming class of kids up nowadays due to all of the societal restrictions and laws.

This subject chaps my behind!:angry:

11. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    That was right on. Sad but true. My Dad used to hunt on his way to school. Now, you get expelled for a water gun.:confused2: I wish I had been a part of the simple life. Things are goin down hill fast!!

12. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    The point was on-target, the geist was correct ; it was timely and no-one here is going to criticize some of the obsessive actions of the beaucracy 'bout whippings, guns, etc...

but it was exagerated. parents still spank kids, kids do dumb things with fireworks, teenagers do take aspirin, teachers still hug kids, and even Hispanic high school graduates must learn a little english...
    perhaps as a country we are going towards ALL those situations But we're not their yet! Thank goodness. At least not in my home town of Warren, Pennsylvania.

And not to forget Some of these obsessive reactions Are neccessary.

consider your first point about Johnny and his shot-guns. The principle that doesn't care; or takes it jokingly, finds out when Johnny is heading down the hall..Killing people with his 'hunting' shotgun.

Many parents still whip their child, but a few beat them horribly causing real physical and emotional bruises that will take years to decades to heal.

There was an age when child abuse when nearly unheard of , but no one seems above suspician now. Its not the seedy drunks in town; its priests, ministers, teachers, and boy scout volunteers...
    (who in 1957 would think that they would need chaperoned??:crazy:)

There's two sides (at least) of each one of these situations...

13. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I think it is a "little" late for that skip.......:tounge_out::wink:

14. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Good one Sam, but I noticed Johnny is in there a lot :smile2:.

15. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam

I dont know why that name was used!!!!:tounge_out::smile2::wink: "Johnny"!!!

16. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sam a great post. Sad but true. I wonder what the next few years will revail.:sad2::sad2:

17. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    He will still be named "Johnny!!!:wink::tounge_out:

18. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sam,I can say the dates could be changed to 1979 for the first part and Be right on for my little town,Thats the year I graduated HS and I allways carried my shotgun and my 22 marlin in my gunrack ,and PARKED in the school parkin lot.