1956 Sea King 5 HP

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by dominoman, Mar 31, 2008.

1. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Came across a 1956 Wards Sea King 5 HP outboard. Outside appearances it is in good condition. Pulled the plugs, they are clean, attempting to find a manual for it, for some reason, I can't get it to turn over. The magneto covers are all cracked, but the points look fairly new. I'll keep fiddling with it, see if it can fire up again.

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I have a 1954 Sea King Manufacturer's #373398. Can anybody tell me anything about it? It was my dads. Just about as old as I am. Minus a few years.

3. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
  4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Didn't see that # on there. Going to dig it out and do some more checkin. Thanks.

5. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I think I had a 1944 Sea King at one time. The oil mix was 16:1 and the old timers used to run regular sae 30 oil in it. Smoked bad but ran great. I'm not sure about the mix ratio of your 1956.

6. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    They have a book out called "old outboard motors" Lots of useful information in there about prices, oil mix ratios, spark plug gap.

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I can't get it to turn over

Meaning that the engine is siezed up?

Magneto covers cracked? Do you mean coils?

8. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    OK now the non-boat mechanic can make an update, got it broke free this afternoon, the pistons move back and forth like they are suppose to. I'm not sure if you call the electrical producing items coils or magnetos, there are 2, that do make a spark when you pull the rope. I'm just tickled to death that it has fire, seems like it has good compression. For no more than I gave for it, I can tinker with it a little. I had a similar motor years ago, ran pretty good considering that it's as old as I am. Here's a few photos. The only thing missing is the small rubber cone that fits over the end of the prop shaft, I think it's to hold the shear pin in place.

Attached Files:

9. Fishbit

Fishbit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    On the one I had, It had a nut with holes or slots in it, on the end of the prop shaft. A cotter pin through a hole in the shaft kept it in place. It keeps the prop in the right place.
    The shear pin is inside a slot in the propellor.

10. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Dominoman is very very happy, IT RUNS. New plugs, fresh gas and a little yanking. Now just need to work on the fine adjustments, it pumps water like a bandit, just some idle adjustments. I'm headed to the tank for some channel cattin.

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Lonnie mix that fuel at least 24:1 ratio. Even with todays oils because those engines didn't have the roller bearing in it I think all they had was babbot or bronze bushing in them and it took the extra oil to take up the space that was inbetween the rod and the crank

12. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Thanks Willard, I found numerous suggestions that the older OB's needed a 16-1 mix and that later on the Mfg's changed to a 24-1. The 16-1 makes it smoke quite a bit. Now that I know it'll run, I can order the carb kit and a gasket that I need to change. If I can't find the gasket, it's the one on the side at the exhaust side, it will be fairly simple to make. I also found new tune up kits and decals. Looking to put this on my 14' jon to run the river with.