1956 35 h.p. Johnson

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Leiter, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Leiter

Leiter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm kicking around an idea of buying this motor from a man I work with for $500.00, I was curious if you can even buy parts for this old of a motor? It is almost brand new. A elderly widow is getting rid of her stuff and this man was wondering if i wanted to buy it. She said he only used it maybe 5 times but he would always go in the basement and start it to keep it running. It has the original stickers or paint with no scrathes or nicks. Any in-sight will be appreciated.

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It sounds like a fair buy. The coils, point's and condensers under the flywheel might need attention, but you can get them.

Be sure the gas tank will pressurize and look for rust in it. A rebuild kit for them is available also. Check for and clean out any old gas.

It will need a water pump. Check with a dealer for the new one. If it's like the smaller motors of that yr, a late model water pump will fit it.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If it is in that good of a shape I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. Those old motors were simple and tough as a keg of nails. Bob has some good info there and parts can still be found but make sure the tank is with it because you will pay more for the tank then the motor.

4. basebklyn7

basebklyn7 New Member

State:
    dubuque, iowa
    sorry about hijacking this thread.. but i have a motor of similar age well kinda and size (1965-70) (33h.p) what do you mean by making sure the gas tank will pressurize?? is this someting i need to be aware of too??

sean

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It's nothing you need to be worried about. The older motors didn't have fuel pumps. The put out a pulse to the tank that pressurized it to get the gas to flow to the carbs.