1955 Mercury Mark 25

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Dsage, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I have a chance to pick up a 1955 Mercury Mark 25. It has new coils, points, condensors, fuel lines, plugs, and impellor. I do not know alot about these motors. Just looking for some infor on them. It is going on a 16 Lone Star Jonboat. The max rating is 25 for the boat.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Dan ,Those were my fav when I was younger. I had one on a 14 ft seaking fiberglass an it would scream.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Those old merc's were about buillet proof. The only bad thing is parts. They are hard to find and very costly. If you are getting it at a good price then by all means get it and keep it serviced good and it should last a long time.
    You do know that the fuel mix on those were 24 to 1

4. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I think it is a good price he was asking $250 for it.. Also I talked to a friend that worked at a boat dealership and he told me that the motors were not that good that Mec. had a weird guy working for them in those years and that things are different on the engines. Some left hand thread bolts and they even ran fine threads on some bolts. So I really do not know what to do.

5. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Problem solved he sold it this morning.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    To set it straight those old motors were built just like all opf mercs other ones. He was confused with the mercs that were built in the same year and I can't remember the names on them but I have one in my shed and its of a smaller h/p I don't even need a motor but at 250 and running with good spark and compression It would have went home with me.

7. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I wish I would had told him to hold it, but I did not know that it was listed on the net for sell. I was sure he would have it still this afternoon but I was wrong. Oh well the search continues.