1952 Evinrude 25 hp

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by BILLYP, Mar 15, 2007.

1. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    I have a 1952 25 hp evinrude outbaord that needs the plate that the spark plugs screw into. I think they call that a head also right? The top threads are stripped. My model numner is 2001-07882. Can someone help me out. I have tried to tap it out but that didn't work. So the only thing that I can think of is getting a new one. Does anyone have one laying around or know some one who might have one. Also I was wondering about the head gasket, the part number is not on it so I could use that also. Thank You

2. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    If the threads are not completely gone you can buy a re-thread kit and fix it that way. That's the way I had to fix the 69 Evinrude I had.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You can buy a retap kit at any good parts store and it will have a tap and inserts in it. It is a little pricey but it is easier then finding the cap and gasket and if I can remember right that cover isn't the only thing that holds the plug. Those cylinders are jugs and the cover is just a water cover plate that keeps it cool. But it can be retaped . I have done several. You don't want a heli-coil now you want a steel insert and you fasten it in permently with loc-tite. After the insert is in place you just put the plug in. It will be an over size tap and the insert will reduce it back to the plug size. 14 MM I do think.

Billy I have one of those taps if you will send it back I will send it to you and you can use it and then return it.

4. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    Bubba that is a very kind offer, but i think that I would rather buy my own istead of running the chance of messing yours up. Thank You though.