1951-- 5 1/2 Hp Johnson

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Bubbakat, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    This old motor was brought to me by a man that said he and his father used it on the river when he was a kid. In 1972 his dad died and it sat in a corn crib all that time. I went to work on it and after 38 bucks and several hrs of cleaning I go all the 30 wt oil out of the tank and cleaned carbs installed new water pump changed lower unit oil and new plugs.

On the second pull she came to life. This is what she looks like. She sat in the barell and ran for over two hours and ran cool to and starts easy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/coofficer/Brianadrawing2001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/coofficer/Brianadrawing2002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/coofficer/Brianadrawing2003.jpg

2. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Bubba, you just never cease to amaze me buddy. You are one talented dude, is there anything you don't know about boats and motors? By the way, that rail looks good on your boat there.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    It looks like my fathers old motor on the Santee.Brought back good times.A 7 1/2 was considered a "BIG" motor on the Santee due to the logs.This motor would have meant that you were "pushing your luck".How times have changed.Peewee-williams

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Jim I know just enough about boats and motors to get myself into hot water.:lol: :lol:

Yea I think the rail makes a good addition to the boat. My wife was wanting some grips up there for her and I had the liying here and tried them and they fit. I wanted them out closer to the edge but she wanted them where they are now so guess who won on that one.

You are right pee wee I remember when a 71/2 was considered a big motor. My first big one was a 25 h/p electric start 1957 johnson and I was in hog heaven then. Every time I went had to take the battery out of the car to start the motor. Had a pull rope on it but that wouldn't have been cool.:lol:

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Bubba, that's just great. Yeah, they bring back memories.

6. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Bubba if I remember correctly on those old 5 1/2 hp Johnson and Evinrudes you have to take the power head off to work on the water pump. It's not as easy as the newer motors. :lol:

Jesse

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

On most of them you did but I had some luck with me on this one it is a tn 26 and its one of the models you don't have to remove the power head.

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I did a 57' 5 1/5 a few weeks ago for a friend of mine and yes you need to pull the power head out of the way enough to disconnect the shift shaft.

Used alot of gasket sealer and never scraped off the old gasket. It worked out ok.

From the looks of that one, does it even have a shift shaft?

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    This one didn't have the shift shaft it had to be spun all the way around to get reverse. That is why I didn't have to pull the power head. Those gaskets can be had for those engines but they are costly.

10. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    i had an old johnson like that i thought it was a 3 1/2 horse.it was a very good runnin motor and started very easy every time.