1947 catfish secret weapon

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by dieselcat, Jul 7, 2008.

1. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    was wondering if anyone has tried this secret weapon on rivers and does it work?most everything i have read about it is about using it in lakes but they have a river model also. thanks in advance:0a31:

2. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Shane, I can assure you there is no “secret” what ever it may be in catfishing. For years there have been rumors of giant fish or some tonic that bait dealers and bass fisherman have perpetuated in order to make a buck… This platform on the BOC provides all the information needed to catch fish, but there are no shortcuts to getting this information for what is needed over the seasons.

3. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Shane, bass fisherman spend a lot of bucks on every little widget that hits the market, just look around in 95% of tackle shops and it's geared to make money off the bass fisherman. Ask one of their employees about catfishing equipment and you'll get a bass fishermans answer. Even had one who swore there where volkswagon size catfish below the dams, after not being able to answer a simple catfishing gear question. Follow the rumors of widgets and you'll find a bass fisherman in a tackle shop everytime :smile2:

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    It's just that magical green flourescent light, available at Bass Pro, Cabelas, etc. for a fraction of what those websites want to charge you. If it worked, every tournament fisherman in the country would have one.

5. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    The only secret wepon is being in the right place with the right bait.

Tom

6. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    shane how did you know I had a secret weapons the two old men i fish with have been after big cats since 1947 and it doesn't get better then that they are true catfish legends these guys have caught more big cats then most of us dream about and the storys they can tell :smile2:

7. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You need to invest in a Clonk Catfish Caller:smile2:

8. Missouricathunter25

Missouricathunter25 New Member

State:
    Weston, Missouri
    Shane,
    I bought one from Bass Pro. It works real well at smithville lake for Crappie. I have caught one cat on the light though. Nothing to brag about though. about 1.5 lbs. But it reals the Crappie in like nothing. Thats all i use it for besides it makes a great night light for your boat also lol. so i wouldn't invest in the ones on the web. Just go get the cheap ones from Bass Pro or Cabelas.

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    yep, I going to go ahead and say those lights are a joke, the ones on the internet anyway. You just need the unwater light. Leave it in place for an hour or so and it will attack bait fish. If you are lucky some nice cats will come to eat those fish. You are not out nothing if they don't an you may get lucky.

10. JoeFriday

JoeFriday New Member

State:
    Indep. missouri
    The lights work pretty good for bait fish. I left one i had in the water for 20-30 min the other day. Threw it in trying to get some shad and pulled up 13 crappie half of them were pretty good sized. then i threw it out a few more times and had 3-4 crappie each time and only one shad :cool2:

11. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Noooooo! Been battling this secret weapon for 5 years :smile2:

12. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    A couple years back I read that they put some of these lights along a bridge or the dam, at santee in SC, for the cat fisherman. Never heard if they worked or not.

13. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Guys I bought one of those lights and tried it out a few time It's a joke on the river all I attracted was little fry and some water bugs I just send it back the other day for a refund.Please don't waste your time and money buying one of those $180+ dollar ones online just get a cheap one if you want to try it.Hope this helps.Crappie fishing weapon is a joke.:big_smile:

14. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have a tendency to look at things logically, especially when it comes to fishing, and all the gear that is available in todays fishing world.

The lights, lets take that for example. Do catfish know when it is night time? Yes, so therefore, they usually move up to shallow water to feed. One I know where they are at, at night, or should be, so do I need a light to attract them? No. The only light I need is one to get to the cooler with.

Baits......Catfish are predators. Lets see fish that are common to the area is a good choice, critters that live under rocks, then there is the old smell thing. I dont use baits that stink anymore, but they work (just dont like to get the hands smelly).

Hooks.....no red ones for me, or red line. I read a debate on red hooks and red lines. They say that red disappears underwater. Lets look at this logically, if red disappears under water, then why would you want to use a red hook that is suppose to make your bait appear bleeding? I am confused! Line? Well here is my thought on that, people use braid or spiderwire and seem to do ok, so my Berkley Big Game should do the trick, caught plenty of catfish on it so far.

If you look at all the stuff out there, I think our fishing methods are more advanced than we care to admit. I think as the catfish evolve (more intellegence) then the new fangle products might actually work. They will know that they are suppose to find lights set in the water at night, and at least check and see if it has attracted anything worth eating. And to ignore the color of line you are using or, pretend not to see it. And to even try one of those new baits they are coming out with to see if they actually do like it.

What amazes me is to think 100 years ago they used cane poles, line and hooks, and did ok.

As for the miracle bait for catfish, leave the concotions at home, and look for structure, that holds the catfish, give them a natural bait. That is the key.

15. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
  16. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Paul that is very sneaky! I see what you are trying to do here :wink:!I think the talk of the "secret weapon" is a Joke and we should all just move on to something else like......................................politics or something. There is a great thread started by Olefin in the HI about voting, check it out.

17. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    laugh if you want but i have one of those and i wouldn't trade it in. i have latched into alot of big cats when we had this out ( now as far as landing them thats another story). i use it in a river and any time we have used it we never fail to at least hook into or land some sizeable flats. last year we had it out(while fishing off of an old barge) and i noticed the light chord moving, i got up thinking a branch or something was caught on it. looked over the side and down at the bottom of the light was a 20+ pound flathead just mauling the big school of baitfish swimming around the light. it also attracts other fish as well, have caught walleye, white bass, hybrids, largemouth, smallmouth,and have seen small gar swimming around it as well. all i can say is it works for me. haven't had the oppurtunity to use it yet this year but it will be going out here real soon.

18. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Dude you hit it right on the money brother nice post.:big_smile::big_smile:

19. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    I will sell you my light that will catch you hundreds of catfish a night but don't tell anyone.:big_smile:

20. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have no doubt that this thing works somewhat, but you can buy a submersible light at wal mart for less than $20. This is where the common sense comes in.