1939 2hp evinrude (need some Parts)

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by 1sporticus, Feb 18, 2006.

1. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a 1939 2 hp Evinrude model 4296--- Ser 01771 I am looking for a few parts, or a parts motor.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I'll see if I can look you up some links to that old gal.
    Pretty basic little motors ain't much that can go wrong there.

3. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    if you could sometime I would love to see a pic of that old engine I love them old ones.

4. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I haven't really gotten into it yet but the plug wire has been eaten off, and the exhaust pipe is gone.

5. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    There is a older gentelman here in the town I live in that has a nice collection of old motors some restored some not. He will let you look at them all you want but not take a single picture of them. Kinda weird if you ask me It is a shame too to not show them off. Good luck with it.

6. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have a 1941 2 1/2 HP Johnson that has been in the family since it and I were 5 and it still runs fine.

Naturally, finding parts is becoming a bit more difficult (mostly screws, nuts and bolts), but it really hasn't needed much. Surprisingly, the local dealers can still get most parts, but you'll likely have to make new floats every few years.

The original floats are (in mine, anyway) cork, which eventually become saturated and sink. Making new ones from a large cork from your local hardware store is no real problem. A few years ago I hit on the idea of encapulating the cork floats in a thin layer of epoxy (but I suppose any gasoline proof sealer would work) and haven't had to replace them since. Needles and seats (which seem to last forever) are also still available through dealers.

Not being "state of the art" in technology, I have run a 2 cylinder motocycle coil while waiting for an OEM replacement to arrive. I've only replaced the coil once, by the way.

Some of these older models had water pumps and some had only convection circulation/ water pressure cooling. If yours has a water pump, I'd suggest getting a couple spare impellors to have on hand. Eventually, you'll need them.

FYI: Most recommendations I see are to run these old engines on a 16:1 fuel/oil ratio, but I've had no problems running at 24:1.

7. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thnaks for the info, I had this motor given to me by a good friend. I am wanting to get it running just to say I could.

8. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Bikebandit.com has aftermarket parts for everything. Boats, Atv's etc. They even have new and used parts never opened. Give it a try and let me know how the old boat turns out.

9. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I looked and didn't find anything for old stuff

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Great,dependible little motor.Mine had a spring,instead of a shear pin.Don;t know why they don;t do that today.I don;t know what brand of parts stores you have where you live.For years around this area,the local NAPA parts store,was great about matching up,and finding something that would work,when you need ignition parts for old outboards and chainsaws.Oil ratio was 1/2 pint of 30 weight non detergent oil to a gallon of gas.Many of the older motors were destroyed by running detergent oil in them.I will ask around about parts.peewee-williams

11. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    there is a place down here in Hust, Tx. It's either called Sun and Fun or Fun and Sun, they carry alot of parts for old outboard motors, if they don't have the parts, they can usually get them.
    I have a 1961 Johnson 2hp. that I've been trying to sell and it has a folding lower unit and comes in a handy carring case. I've been asking $350 for it and it runs very good, never gave me any problems.
    I'm not sure what the phone number is but I'm sure you can find it on the internet. Maybe they can help with your motor.