18lb Channel Catfish On Jordan Lake.

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Splorndle, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Splorndle

Splorndle New Member

I know that isn't a huge fish but it is the biggest i have ever heard of there and I am darned happy. Maybe in another decade we can do some reel fishin here.

2. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    good job.......that is actually a whopper.....in ffisherman catfish guide considers any channel over 10 lbs a good 1...........also catfish guide 2006 in on the newsstands......mack

3. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Good job Bro! thats a good fish, very good:thumbsup: .

4. ponykilr

ponykilr New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    wow, i have never seen a channel over about 6-7lbs. i bet he's purty.;)

5. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    nice fish!! You were close to having the state record.The records open and the channel has to wiegh 20 pounds to enter it.Nice job!!!

6. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Don't downsize your catch just because it's "only" 18#. There are a lot of us that would just love to get an 18# channel. Especially on Jordan. The important thing is that You found him and you caught him. Dare I say, If we all caught 18# cats on a regular basis we would become bored?? I think not. You were in the right place at the right time and your presentation was dead on. Congradulations.

7. HHinNC

HHinNC Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Indeed that is a nice fish ! Congratulations. I have fished Jordan over the years and haven't caught one anywhere near that size ! You have braggin' rights !:)

8. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Ive seen a 10lbr and that was a pig. yours must have been a HOG good job Mate!
    Post a pic. if you have any. We all like biggins
    thanks
    Larry

9. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    18lbs is a great channel cat, I was very disappointed in february when I caught one that was 19.4lbs, I was like ( man, why didnt you eat a big dinner so I could enter for the state record.) Nice fish though

10. Splorndle

Splorndle New Member

I did not realize 20 woulda put me in the record books. Dang, now I am disappointed. Also, I had a typo. I meant 16lb. Anyhow I was happy. It is the largest I cat have ever caught as an adult. (Dad caught a 36# and let me reel it in when I was little. Several of the guy in the Dry Fork tourney allege multiple 20#s on Jordan. Now I doubt them. lol

11. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    I would be surprised if there has ever been one Channel at 20 pounds caught on Jordan. I have fished it too much and in to many places to believe it. I have heard a lot of rumors but there is rarely a good scale within a hundred miles of people making such claims.

Biggest I have caught there was 12.2 pounds and the biggest I saw was right at 16. It was caught up in the Haw in the Spring. Best way to get a lot of big (5-10 lbs.) Channels on Jordan is to go on the hottest nights of the Summer and use live bream either free lined or under a balloon.

They chase them to the top and hit with an explosion that sounds just like a snook on a needlefish in FL. A closer to home example would be like a 30 lb. Striper on an 8 inch gizzard shad. It'll make you jump everytime.....:)

12. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    hello greggofish......yes 20 lb channels are hard to come by, though i have seen 1 that was 22 lbs at jordan.......in the late 90,s there were several catfish tournaments (j&j??) out of farrington boat ramp.....i did not fish them bbut showed up for several of the weigh ins........tournaments went from 7pm to 7 am......biggest fish in 1 tournament was a 22lb channel cat.........think next was a 16 and from there it went down to like 10lbs or something...mack

13. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    really nice fish, i haven't even been able to get a channel cat on jordan. all i keep catching is blue's, even with a channel setup. lol. once again, nice catch

14. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :eek:oooh: "Way to go Buddy" - "That's a nice size Channel" :eek:oooh:

Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

15. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    You do have bragging rights. Congragulations on a job well done, most especially at Jordan. Have fished all over the lake several years . The past year very often. Do a lot of trolling and night fishing for cats and crappie. Tons of small channels but nothing over about 8 lbs. Have yet to catch a flathead there nor have I seen one caught. Not a lot of blues but hear unsupported rumors. Again good job !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Thats a BIG channel!!!!

Hey crusinman 2202 you should be happy to catch those blues I fished that lake a lot and all I keep catching are those white cats and small channels.....if your catching blues then maybe just maybe in 10-15 years jordan may turn into a kerr or Badin lake

17. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    John, One of the Striper guides told me this spring he would sometimes mark what he thought were small blues feeding under schools of Stripers. Also would pick up a blue sometimes while flatlining under 1 mph . Should be some hope for us in the future.

18. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    thanks john, yeah... most of them were kinda small... seems to me that someone may have brought some blues to the lake and they acclimated and started to spawn... most of the blues i'm catching are under a pound and they go back, i even ruin my hooks if i have to get get them back unharmed so that they can get back to normal life, i do that with all my fish if they are hooked really good and i'm not keeping them. let me tell ya... i've gone through alot of hooks doin that over the years, but i think its worth it. i did however catch a nice blue cat though, it was this past sat. night, he was 20 inches long and 2.5 pounds, i put him back in the water cause i had a couple of nice whites i was keepin to fry up.

this past friday night i hooked into a really big cat on jordan... he felt like i had snagged a tree, i had my 8.5 foot rod bent in half tryin to fight him in, and he was pullin my drag alot and my drag is set at 25 pounds (really easy to check, just grab your scale, attach it to your line, and slowly pull on it till the drag hits and it will show you where your drag is set)... but needless to say he broke my 5/0 J-style hook like it was a twig once he started rolling. i'm hopin to get him again. i had an 8" shad on the hook with the tail cut off of it. it was really exciting, while it lasted.... lol

19. Splorndle

Splorndle New Member

I have never seen a flathead on Jordan though several folks claim flattys where the river and lake meet.

20. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I had no idea jordan had this many catfisherman on it I live a few miles from jordan and hope to see some of you there fishing.great fish 16 are 18 its still a nice cat since the biggest I've caught there is 9 lbs.