1851 Navy Confederate .44 caliber

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by Katfish Kern, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    Thinking of buying one of these. Can anyone tell me more about them? I have never owned a ball and cap pistol, but it seems like it sure would be fun to shoot. I tried to order one from Cabela's last night and they told me they were completely out of stock until the end of March! Any help would be appreciated.

GO VOLS

2. dademoss

dademoss New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I prefer the new model army, the top strap helps keep everything together.

Look for a steel frame too, instead of brass, the steel is a lot more durable if you run a lot of rounds through the weapon.

3. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    I'm not going to really run a lot of balls through it, I just wanted something to tinker around with. How much abuse from shooting do you think it will stand up to?

4. dademoss

dademoss New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Keep the powder loads under control and it will be fine for a good many years. The trouble starts when you push the loads up, the frames stretch.

5. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    The .36 might be a little cheaper to feed if economy is a concern. Buddy of mine squirrel hunts with his .36 exclusively,doesnt kill alot but has a ball. I think the brass one's are prettier but their not as durable. I think they had some trouble with the brass one's getting "out of time". Make sure you seal each chamber. Chain fire's are dangerous. Cleaning the revolvers can be a chore, I switched to 777 for that reason in all my frontstuffers. Hope this helps, let me know if I can help or guide you thru the loading etc.

6. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    How do I seal each chamber??

7. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    They sell grease soaked little plugs/patch's just for that but u can use crisco/bar soap pieces/wax/candle piece's,skies the limit. etc. anything just to keep the fire from jumping chamber to chamber. Old timer showed me the crisco trick, said it seasoned the bore too? I cut my ownplugs/patch's out of pillow ticking, same stuff I cut up for my rifle patch's. Just cut alot smaller, little wonder lube worked into them and your good to go. Our local marts carry pillow ticking for about $3 yard.