17HMR

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by randallewis, Aug 19, 2007.

1. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I've seen some posts on the 17HMR. How accurate are they at 150 yd and which ammo.

2. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Here is only problem I have found. They dont buck wind very good and here in Iowa wind is blowing everyday. They seem to drift at any least cross wind. If you are shooting under 100 yards kinda still I have put 5 in a quarter size with about any brand of ammo.

3. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    Thanks.. I'm looking at varmint hunting. Looks like I need to be looking more at the .223 or the .22-250 calibers. Anyone shoot these at coyotes at 150 plus yds?

4. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I just bought a .204 ruger & so far I really like it. Great accuracy with hornady ammo.

5. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    150 yards would be easy with those, you could take a yote at 400 with either also. As far the .17hmr is concerned iw ouldnt buy it for varmints, only target shooting.

6. pat muckelroy

pat muckelroy New Member

State:
    texas
    I have used the .17 HMR on varmits up to the "song dogs". They do less damage to the pelts than the .223 or the 22-250. The max range I have shot "song dogs" at is about 100 yds. Shot placement is critical with this very light bullet, and wind is a big factor. If you are not saving the hide, go to the .223 or 22-250. These are much better rounds for the job. Pat

7. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i am with the others on this one. for down right get the job done tough go to the .223 it shoots pretty dang flat and has less drift with the wind. dont get me wrong, the .17 can be a boat load of fun with targets.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

I have a 'pet load for my .223 that leaves no exit hole .Its great for pelt hunting.I much prefer the center fire varmint rounds ,as they reach farther and are flatter as well as cheaper to shoot ,cause you can reload them.

9. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've had alot of luck with mine out to 200 yards but you have to have a perfectly still day and have a very clean head shot on ground hogs and prairie dogs otherwise i've gotten alot of crawl offs. If i shoot real consistant and keep tight groups i can pick'em off regularly out to 200yds but the wind plays a huge factor with this tiny little bullet. My favorite round for it is the hornady 17 gr vmax, but then again i've shot them all but the v-max holds the tighest groups. Its what i've shot all my matches with and what i currently hunt with.

I currently have a .920 whistle pig barrel with a rifle basix trigger syster set at 2lb at the moment and its been doing pretty darn well on the range as well as in the field.

10. weekendredneck69

weekendredneck69 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have shot a .17hmr here and there. i love usin em on squirrels and rabbits. But when it comes to yoters i really like the .22-250, rounds are usually cheap and i have shot coyotes up to 400 yards and most of em usually get hit then drop in their tracks.. If you are saving hides, i havent had much trouble with tearing them up either...so all in all i think a .22-250 does the job...then again thats my favorite...everyone has their own!!

11. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I would add to this list a .220 swift probably the ultimate varmit rifle. I had one in a pre 64 model 70 it was a tack driver and lead to lead posion in many a varmit!!!

12. Philiagorillia

State:
    Missouri
    The 220 swift would be great along with the 22-250, 223, 223 wssm, 243, 17 Remington (not to be confused with the rim fire .17 HMR), 222, 204 Ruger. Alot of people are afraid to shoot the 220 swift because of it being know to be a barrel burner, but with todays newer barrels i dont think people have much of a problem other than ammo prices!

13. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I'm really surprised at the responces on the 17, it has such a light bullet....but I guess it's here to stay. Saw a ferral cat shot with one at bout 60 yards, and it was dead...but we actually, 3 of us could not find an entrance or exit hole....not a drop of blood....I still think it had a heart attack.

14. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    Our hunting club has a nice shooting range. Bench rest, vices, sand bags the works. After a work day last week some of the guys brought out some 17HMRs. At 100yd, they were not much more accurate than my Ruger 77/22. At 150yd w/ a wind blowing, they were useless. Some of the guns would not put 10 shots in a 6 inch circle. I think they are just new. I don't know how long they will last.

I'm going to put a good scope on a 270 to varmint hunt. My son in East Texas has coyotes so thick they are eating out of the dog feed bowls it night.

15. Philiagorillia

State:
    Missouri
    The .17HMR is definetly not a round to be shooting on a really windy day, but if someone isnt holding at least 5 shot groups inside a quarter at 100yds there is something wrong with the shooter or the gun isnt setup right. Even straight out of the box my savage was able to consistantly put 3 outta 5 shots in a quarter at 100, after the custom barrel and trigger kit things changed alot, longest i have shot out to was around 200 at some crows, got a few hits but alot of fly offs...

16. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    The .17HMR did ok at 100 yds. Most grouped within a 50 cent piece. Out at 150 yds w/ wind the wheels ran off

17. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I'm with Randal on the varmint thing. I've heard so much hype on the .17 and more excitement I think than any new round I've seen come out in my life. In the shops the guys even whisper bout taking deer with the lil rimfire....I'm thinking there are guys shooting critters with too lil gun. Might be heck on crows an such, but for yotes ya need lil more.
    I love the 270 and think it is one of the most overlooked rounds ever. On a good rifle with scope it's the perfect farm gun. If I remember right, it came out in the late 20's.
    Anyone remember the 5mm Remington? It was gonna be the new cats meow.
    But a cat is a cat is a cat.
    Gonna wait for I jump on the .17. Just me. Old fart, LOL.

18. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I finally got to shoot a .17 hmr yesterday. We took several rifles out actually. On the 25 yard range, I could easily put 5 rounds from the .17 (3-9x40 scope) in and area smaller than the tip of my pinky finger. Just one hole about the size of a 30 caliber bullet. Shot about a 1" group with my 7/22 Viper with open sights at 25 yards. Was shooting about a 2" group at 100 yards with the .17. Gun wasn't on a bench rest, but I expected a tighter group. I was shooting a 4" group with my .22 at 100 yards, which to me was more impressive than the .17 considering I was using open sights, made no adjustments, or corrections to the sights, and still hit bullseyes. There was no wind that was noticable. Not sure of the model, but the .17 is a Savage. I think with a scope, my .22 will shoot the same group at 100 yards as the .17 did. Don't know if it was me, the gun, the scope, or the ammunition, but I was less than impressed. I know the .17 has a longer range, but in real world situations, is it really any more effective than a .22 mag? It would be a fun squirrell gun, but ammo cost more than .22, and the benefits would be neglegable in that hunting scenario. I like the gun, but question the practicality of it, and what applications it is supposed to excell over the .22, or .22 mag. If the bullet drifts alot in the wind, doesn't that detract from the advantages it may have from being able to get down range? I'm looking foreward to shooting a .17 mach II. Reason I say all this, is because if I decide in the future to buy a .17, I want to see a real advantage to it rather than a marginal accuracy advantage, displaced by less energy transferred down range than higher grain bullets. Seems the gun is not any more practical for small game than a .22, or a .410 for that matter, yet not hefty enough in my opinion for coyotes, or bobcats. Are they best suited for target practice? Is there any real application for the round such as prairie dogs and such where a few extra yards would be nice, but more economical than a .223 or .243?