17-pounder’s Younger Sibling

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by topjimmy, Nov 18, 2007.

1. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    I know I am wearing the exact same clothes as last week (hey, what can I say, I’m a creature of habit), but I promise it’s a different fish in the pictures. I have witnesses.

I caught a number of carp between 1 and 3 pounds, and a couple channel catfish that were less than a pound, but the best catch was a 14-pound flathead that I caught around 2130 Friday on (what else?) a carp head.

I have figured out the key for me to catch big flats consistently. Get drunk.

I drink frequently, but I almost never drink enough to get drunk. The last two times I went fishing, on the one night I got drunk (Saturday last week and Friday this week), I caught big fish. Coincidence? Hmmm…

Attached Files:

2. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    where are you fishing? Cant make the lake out?

3. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Must be the lucky fishing clothes. Either way, nice fish and thanks for sharing with us.

4. RockyIII

RockyIII New Member

State:
    From NY but live in NM
    Thanks for the pics topjimmy, nice flat. Jim

5. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Funny stuff right there. I'm gonna have to call BS, cuz its the same clothes and same water mark on your pants. That and i know everything. :eek:oooh: Just Kidding. I guess i'll never live down being a jerk to Picksecky. :tounge_out:

Great job on the Flathead. I do agree the more buzzed you are the more fish are caught. :big_smile:

6. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Nice catch,
    Did you fish Bartlet again.. I guess you had to if caught the sibling..

Did you put some slime on that new boat yet?

** Andy~

7. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    I don't think that is a water mark, I think it is a grease stain. It was probably from fried chicken, motor oil, or some kind of foul guts. :big_smile_2:

That's why I always wear the same clothes fishing... why stain new ones when you can just wear the old ones all the time?

Maybe there is something to the lucky clothes idea. I could try doing it like a baseball player, I won't wash my fishing clothes until I am sure my streak is broken. Superstition! :wink:

8. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    There are lakes besides Bartlett?

I've been leaving the boat at home because of the cooler temps and the number of people we've been camping with (can't fit 'em all on the boat).

I will probably start taking the boat out again next weekend, just in time to freeze my @ss off!

9. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Nice job!

I don't know what you are trying to pull here, but that is obviously a photoshopped picture of your last fish, shrunk down to make it look different. Seriously.

Haha, no really, great job, I've been getting completely SKUNKED on the upper Salt River off of live sunfish, and I'm thinking my inability to catch a carp lately is part of the reason. Last year's winter was a feeding frenzy on cut carp, and this year I can't catch one. We would fine piles and piles of them thrown up on the bank to die last year, so that may be part of the reason.

Actually, I did catch a carp very late this last saturday night on the upper salt. Lopped its head off and rigged it on a pole. I was going to switch to a much smaller piece of carp later in the night, but woke up a half hour later and barely caught the of this skunk dragging my 10lb carp around a boulder. Too cold and tired to fight him for it, I reeled in to slice my carp head in pieces, to provide bait for the night. Pulled it in to find an empty hook, probably a turtle's work. I think... I might be trying Bartlett soon.

Do you simply drive up along the bank as far as you can past the no-wake buoys? Thats the only way I thought you could fish Bartlett from shore.

10. DryHeat

DryHeat New Member

State:
    arizona
    Freeze you will..... I spent Sat night on the water @ Bartlett looking for your 17lber......Carp, one lost runner and a frozen @ss was the result - This week temps are going to drop a good 10-15 degrees

11. DryHeat

DryHeat New Member

State:
    arizona
    "I will probably start taking the boat out again next weekend, just in time to freeze my @ss off!"

Freeze you will..... I spent Sat night on the water @ Bartlett looking for your 17lber......Carp, one lost runner and a frozen @ss was the result - This week temps are going to drop a good 10-15 degrees

12. stinky fingers

stinky fingers New Member

State:
    Buckeye,Arizona
    Way to go James nice flat.

13. Blue709995

Blue709995 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Good job James! I second the drinking part. its just... I don't get too trunk... kinda hard to operate my kayak in the dark lol. Do you have better luck up towards the river or in the main lake?