17 Hmr

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by crazy, Nov 30, 2005.

1. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Anyone know if they make a solid 17 hmr round? I'm not to fond of the hollow points or the v-max style. I'm looking for something with a little more wack to it.

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm not a fan of the .17 HP either. Shot @ a wild dog, 40 yards away, the bullet hit some thick grass (yes grass, not brush) & broke up. I honestly perfer a .22 Mag to the .17. Please let me know if you find a bullet to your liking.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Crazy, CCI makes a 20 gr. Gamepoint that is not supposed to fragment as bad as the others. I understand there is a solid point out now, but I can't think of the mfg name, haven't seen any yet. I have some of the 20 gr CCI, but haven't had a chance to test them yet. I have hopes that they won't do nearly as much damage to small game.
    Remember, the 17 HMR bullet was initially designed to disintegrate, because of its speed, which was a selling point. You really can't compare it to a 22 mag, they are 2 totally different cartridges, in performance. I own both, but the 17 is just fun to shoot, and I love being able to make a 100 yd headshot on a squirrel.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Tommy I have a Ruger 77/22 in 22 mag and want one in the 17 what do you have?

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Must be some tough grass... Just kidding. There is a round out that will make the trip. But for the life of me I can't remember the make.
    I sure like mine. And we shoot them all the tiime around here.
    PEte

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I have some of the CCI gamepoint 20gr. I can't really tell the difference between them and the 20gr Horn. I'll have to keep my eye's open for those new 20gr solids. The thing is I shot a couple of coons the other night with my 17 and was not really impressed with the results. Don't get me started on the 17gr remingtons. I shot a little stray cat at about 10 yards with one of them the thing jumped 3 feet in the air and ran off.

7. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    Hornady has a less destructive 20 grain XTP bullet that is advertised as a controlled expansion, deeper penetrating bullet.

8. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Jim, I already had a Remington 597 semi in .22 LR and really like it, so I bought another 597 in .17HMR. I looked at the ruger 77/17, and it is really nice, kinda wish I had bought it, now. The Remington has had some problems with magazine feed, but I understand they have an upgraded magazine now that supposedly eliminates that problem. I like the way it shoots, and it is very accurate, 1/2 - 3/4" groups @ 100 yds all day with CCI, Remington, or Hornady ammo, CCI being the best all-round by a slim margin.
    I had fired some of the CCI 20 gr. gamepoints for accuracy, but the first time I shot at a squirrel, something went wrong; the fired shell casing must have ruptured or something, because the magazine actually blew apart, the bottom of it struck my arm hard enough to leave bruises through a heavy chamois shirt, and parts of the mag were scattered on the ground. The main part of the mag was still in the rifle, but the guts were gone, and the mag was cracked. I didn't find the spent shell casing, so I don't really know what went wrong. I continued hunting with 17 gr. bullets in a different magazine with no further incident.
    Crazy, I can tell you don't like the 17HMR, but if you research the development of it, I think you will find it was designed to do just what your's is doing, which is very light penetration, instant fragmentation to avoid ricochets. While I haven't tested the gamepoint yet on live game, from what I have read, it is supposed to allow more penetration with less tissue damage. It will still expand, but is supposed to hold together better. There is an obvious difference in the depth of the hollow point cavity. I will try to look up the solid point ammo, and let you know. I read about it just the other day on a rimfire forum.

9. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Crazy, I went back to the rimfire forum, and the 20gr. FMJ bullet is made by CCI. I don't know about your gun, but mine really likes the CCI ammo, the 20gr gamepoints shoot 1/2" groups, about a half inch lower than the 17 gr tnt, close enough to use them without even changing the 100 yd zero on my scope, as long as I know where they will hit, I can allow for it until I decide whether to stay with them or not.

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Blackwaterkatz, Actually contrary to believe the 17hmr is a great gun I love mine. I have the Marlin NWTF 05 gun of the year that I won this spring. The down side is the magazine is not a smooth operator like all marlins. I honestly can’t tell that the hornady 20gr bullets broke up. The exit hole left in the coon was about as big around as my thumb. The bullet went in threw its chest and exited threw his hind end. I just like solid bullets more then hollow points and I dislike the ballistic style of bullets. I’ll try my CCI gamepoint though and see what it does. I’m going to guess that they are all about the same. I’m going to keep my eye out for the CCI FMJ that you mentioned as well. Who knows I’ll keep plinking away at game with different ammo and find what the end results are.

11. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Sorry, Crazy, I misunderstood. As with any gun, you sometimes have to search for the right ammo. The .17 is relatively new, and ammo continues to be developed to meet shooters needs.
    I have an older Marlin in 22 mag, and I love it, except that the magazine is right at the balance point for carrying, but that's not really a big issue, since I usually use a sling anyway. I polished the trigger after I got it (as a gift) and it really shoots good.
    As for ammo, I've found that the CCI hollow point does a little less damage than the plastic-tipped ballistics, but not much. I've tried most brands of ammo, except winchester, I think. Most of them shot ok, except for Federal.
    You should be able to have a gunshop order you some fmj ammo, or go online. There are several places that handle it.
    I'll pm you a link to a website that may be of interest to you, regarding rimfires, and .17's.

12. Hannahrk

Hannahrk New Member

State:
    Idaho
    OK guys, I'm new to the thread and decided to join the conversation. I own a 17 HMR (Marlin) with a 4-power Redfield scope on it. I've hunted large (Black Tail) Jack rabbits with it. These are large rabbits (15-20 lbs) that drag on the ground when you carry them by their hind feet (I’m 6’ 2” tall). They turn white like a snow shoe hare in the winter. The 17 grain bullets fragmented so bad that I was shooting them 3 and 4 times. The damage was incredible but I felt the kill was inhumane and it ruined a lot of meat and hide. Today, I tried the Hornady 20 grain XTP bullets. Wow what a difference. The shot hit with a satisfying smack, penetrated the body cavity and did not exit. The rabbit tipped over in stride and never got up. What a Fantastic difference. This is how I remember a 22 rifle killing game. I'd be interested in anyone else's results.

Ray...

13. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Back in the late 1970's and early 80's we used to kill swamp rabbits along the Neosho river here in Se Kansas. They look like a cottontail...except that they get up to 10 lb and sometimes better. I haven't seen one for about 10 years now, so I'm not sure if they're still around here or not. Anybody else ever seen these jumbo cottontails in their area?

14. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Hannahrk, glad to have you as a BOC member.
    I haven't tried any of the 20gr ammo, except for CCI gamepoints. I've been using 17 gr CCI's with pretty good success, but about the only game I shoot with it are squirrels, and an occasional feral cat. I want to shoot the 20 grains and see if they cause less meat destruction, as advertised. I bought some of the CCI's and they grouped really good, but the first round I fired at a squirrel had a case failure. The explosion blew the magazine apart and onto the ground at my feet. I've returned the gun and spent shell to Remington, and am waiting to see what their explanation is. I have an idea what caused the failure, but I'll wait until I hear from the mfg.
    How does you Marlin shoot? I have one in 22 mag and it is accurate. Some of the shooters I know that have them love their accuracy, but the trigger is just a little rough on some of them.

15. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ok guys help me out here. I have wanted to get a 22mag for the past 10 years now. Is the 17 better then a 22mag or the same? Cuz for the money I can pick a 22mag up for about 100 to 150 dollars and I don't know about 17. The 17 is a new round and the guns are fairly new so I don't know if I should save/spend the money on a 22mag or try for a 17. And how much are the 17 guns and ammo? If it is to much I might just get a 22mag. And has anyone tryied the Ruger 204 yet? All of this new rounds in smaller calibers I don't know if they are worth their money to the casual shooter or not. I have alot of guns and alot of 22 long rifles. Just don't know if the money spend on a small caliber is worth it or if I could spend it on a bigger caliber...say 30-06 or something along those lines. Thanks for any help.

Dave

16. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Smallriverrat, it depends on what you want to use the gun for. The .17HMR was designed for small varmints, a very light bullet with instant fragmentation to prevent ricochets. It is a lot of fun to shoot, and very accurate. Up to 100 yds, it pretty much equal to the 22 mag (depending on type of bullet), but beyond 100 yds it has an edge in accuracy and is flatter shooting. However, the heavier 40gr 22 mag bullet will give greater penetration. The 204 Ruger is in a totally different class. One can shoot varmints out to 300+ yards with accuracy. The 22 mag is probably practical out to ~125 yds, the 17 out to ~200yds.

17. Hannahrk

Hannahrk New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I find it to be very accurate and the trigger crisp if a little heavy. Sometimes those little holes touch at 100 yards. I've not measured the groups but I could hit that little 50 rd box a 100 yards every time ,with a rest. The only thing I would say is that the wind effects this little round significantly.

18. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Sounds as though the accuracy is real good. My trigger was kind of heavy and a little rough when I first got it years ago, but a little polishing helped it out.
    Those .17's are definitely affected by the wind, which is why I said they're only practical to about 200 yds. I've read reports by some who took game much beyond that, but if I took a shot beyond that, it would have to be under calm conditions.
    The 17 HMR is fun to shoot, though. I like to sneak some of the wife's potatoes out of the kitchen and set them up on stakes at about 100 yds, just to see them explode.....oops, here she comes, gotta go!

19. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
    Here is a pic of a recovered 20 gr Hornady XTP shot out of a CZ 452 Varmint. The round was fired into a bundle of wet newsprint and when recovered measured .352". http://x11.putfile.com/1/216314865.jpg

20. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    That's an impressive photo, and it is exactly what the bullet is designed to do, instead of fragment. That should be a good bullet for larger varmints.
    I'm told that the XTP and the CCI gamepoint are the same bullet.