.17 HMR?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by ozzy, May 27, 2009.

1. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I'm looking at a 17 HMR soon. What Im looking at is the Marlin 917VST. Ive read the comparisons between other models and think this is the one. Lets hear your pros and cons this model and others. Im mainly looking at a jack,crow,coon,opussum, fox type rifle. Anything bigger will meet my .270

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    I have always wanted one of these, but been to cheap to get one.

After you get it, hit me up by PM on how you like it.

>>>> So jealous :smile2:

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Hopefully next week. Gonna have to borrow my scope from big brother for a trial run. Cant beat 2500+ fps with a small ballistic tip for varmints. Ill let ya know.

Attached Files:

4. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I had the same gun, but in a .22 Mag. I went with the mag because of the availabilty of a heavier bullet and a little less conpensation due to wind. As far as the rifle goes, it was a tackdriver, but I had to replace the trigger springs to lighten it up. It had a standard "lawyer" trigger which is too heavy for my taste. Anyway, for the money, it can't be beat in my opinion. Marlin makes a fine firearm, and if I'm not mistaken, Marlin is now owned by Remington. If you wanna dish out some more coin, I'd look at Savage, but for under $250 at your local Wal-Mart, I don't think you will beat the Marlin.:wink:

5. skipjack1984

skipjack1984 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm with grumper on this one i also have this model but in .22 magnum pair it with some of CCI 40 grain hollow points and you have a mean little rifle i use my for coyote hunting and drop em in there tracks no problem and for the same price i'd go for the extra power.

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I have read the reports Marlin Vs. Savage and the only advantage is that Savage has a better trigger from what I can find. I also have found that the Marlin is a better grouper from the box. Only time will tell.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Mike,Marlin is hard to beat,I got the Ruger 77/17 Its a sweet rifle,But very pricy. at $409 thats what mine was a looong time ago. I get a chance I'll try an post a pic by the weekend

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I have the SS Savage and enjoy shooting it more then any gun I have or ever had. It will group 5 shots at 100 yards that a dime will cover.
    I Did spend more on the Nikon Monarch scope then I did on the Gun. I like the one your looking at also. But don't think it could group shots any better than this one. But mine will throw one after you shoot a dozen or so shots. Clean it out and its good again.
    Best of luck on a great little gun.
    Pete

9. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Ill be glad when (if) Ruger incorporates this caliber into their 10/22 line and make a semi auto. There is a company out there already that is modifying the Ruger 10/22 magnum and replacing the barrel with one chambered for the 17HMR and selling them faster than they make them........only problem is they are pricey....the ones on their website list for between 600 and 900 bucks. I bought my grandson a single shot 17 a couple years ago and it is a bad little round !!!

10. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    I have a remington 597 traded my 22 mag in for it. The only reason I bought this one was because I wanted an automatic. It works great on coons. A guy I know has a marlin he loves it he has killed a few coyotes with it and when he goes prarie dog huntin' he takes it

11. thunt713

thunt713 New Member

State:
    winfield m
    I have the same gun in savage its a great shooter and i really like the accu trigger , the thumbhole stock is great too. :wink:

12. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Ozzy I have the marlin bolt action 17hmr with a bull barrel, natural syn stock. Not sure of the model right off the top of my head. I bought it new 5 or 6 years ago. This is a nasty little round and very accurate. Im not trying to start any ethics wars or anything. Im a different person than I was then but I took a few deer down with head shots out to 100 yrds. Coyotes wont have a prayer.

13. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I was looking at that one also but they wanted 180.00 more than the Marlin. Nice rifle but I figure thats 180.00 towards glass.

14. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    The marlin and savage are both great shooters. I have the .17 hmr in a remington 597, to match the .22 LR 597 I already had, and a marlin bolt action 22 magnum. Either one is a fine shooter, but the .17 remington semi makes head shots on squirrels fun up to 100 yards, no problem. The .17 is flatter shooting than the 22 mag, of course, but also groups better at long ranges. You may want to try several different brands of ammo to see which suits your rifle best.

15. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    AMMO!! Dang I didnt think of that. LOL Luckily I know of a little shop that hooks me up. Try the chain stores and the walls are bare except for big bore, shotgun and rare calibers. :confused2:

16. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Well I picked her up yesterday. Its a Marlin 917VT. The scope is from my .270 gives me an excuse to get a new Nikon for the .270 :roll_eyes:. Havent shot it yet, Im hoping this Sunday. Work first, play later. Either way Ill post a report when a drop a few down the tube.

Attached Files:

17. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
  18. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I have to correct this post. BPS had a brain fert and mislabled the Savage, it was only $30.00 more, however I still liked the Marlin more. JMHO.

19. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Looks like a really nice rifle Ozzy! Too bad you don't live closer. I have 100 rounds for a 17 and no rifle to shoot them through. They were left overs from my contender barrel.

Can't wait to hear how she groups!

20. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    That's a nice looking rifle you got there Ozzy.