17 HMR and squirrel

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by jstall, Oct 16, 2007.

1. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    I see the earlier thread about the 17 HMR. I hear that the 17 blows squirrel to pieces, True of false?

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Head shot and not a problem. But hit in anywhere else and theres a nice hole out the back side.
    Pete

3. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    just one place to shoot a squarrel in the eye. thanks sam d

4. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Joseph, I've owened a CZ 17HMR since they came out. And true would be the anwser if you use any hollow or ballistic tip ammo, if you make a body shot. Head shots are awesome! Shoot the solid tips for squirrel if you want to have something left to eat!:cool2:

5. sbowes77

sbowes77 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have hade a marlin 17 hmr sense july of 2002 and two and have litterly killed 100's of squrills and other small game but with a scope on the rifle u want have to worry about damage cause you can shoot them in the head at 100 yds and if u do pull a little or the wind drifts it to the side u only will ruin the front shoulders i killed a limit or squrills sunday with eight shots and only had one body shot ond i just got in a hurry or it would have been six shots and six heads missing well any way theres my 2 cents and good luck

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Just use a .22 and you wont have to worry about it either way:wink:

7. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    better yet just bust'em with a 410 if ya have one .

8. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD

.410 is great for squirrel....well most of the time. My grandfather used a .410 for years on squirrel, until one went way up a tree and "laughed at him" when he shot at it

9. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    The hummer is a great long distance squirrel gun.. it makes hunting them "alot more funner..":smile2: 'specially if you know you can hit almost any that you can see.. Its like squirrel snipering..

10. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I have shot a few tree rats with my buddy's scoped Ruger .17...IMO it seems like overkill.

I carry either an old Remington pump .22 with a Redfield wide view 2x7 scope or an old Savage side by side .410 that belonged to my grandpa.

My wife has a little Schitz-zu mop dog...that thing is the squirrel chasin'est dog I have ever seen....my Lab will trot along beside me at heel watching him...every once in awhile looking up quizzically at me...I just shrug my shoulders.

He hunts by sight first...but has a remarkably good nose...and normally trots through the timber with his head looking up....and scanning forward from time to time...it's hilarious to watch...he really thinks he's somethin'.

When I go with him I generally carry the shotgun...but sometimes I take both...(I have a sling on the shotgun)

When I'm alone...I prefer to set up a hide and call if there's alot of rats around...if not I'll still hunt.

Sniping them with the .22 is the most fun....but the shotgun puts meat into the pot.

11. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i am kind of worried when i shoot solid bullets up in the air. That is just me though, i like to use shotgun or pellet gun for squirels. Just my opinion. I might be wrong about that little 17 coming down on someone, but who knows?

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

James,Thats why you always make sure of your target and more importantly,WHATS BEYOND!!