.17 HM2 for squirrels

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Sentry Dog Man, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Anyone here used the .17 HM2 for squirrels? If so, what are your thoughts on the "round"?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Mike ,I have a .17 HMR but I have to drive at least 200 miles to squirrel hunt ,so its my Jackrabbit/small vermin gun.

3. shooter

shooter New Member

State:
    ks
    Hey Richard/ I shot my 1st coyote with my new 17 hmr yesterday and he fell and ran 50 yrds and kicked for a minute before he died/ made a small hole goin in and at about 120 yrds/ real fast /I,m pretty happy with it. Ned Colt.Lawrence .Ks.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nice to hear that,congrats on it .

5. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    i personally havent used it, but a guy i hunt with every year does. He says there is much less meat damage than with the .17hmr, and the accuracy is a lot better than a .22's. i think he has a 10/22 converted to .17mach2

I have been considering converting my .22 into a .17 mach2 for a while now, but the ammo is so much more expensive.

6. Big Eli

Big Eli New Member

State:
    Ohio, Clifton
    I have used mine on bushey tales for 2 years now. I had been useing a 22 long and the performance of the .17 is outstanding over the 22. The only down fall I see and I can't say it has that much effect is the .17 has a louder report. With my 22 on longer shots I had to hold high and play the wind. With the .17 is dead on as far as you can spot a bushey tale!!!!

"Big Eli"

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Charles ,They make barrels that are interchangable in .17mach2 and 17hmr for Ruger 10/22, 10/22mag. Respectively,and you can change them back any time you want .

8. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    how easy is that process? would it be worth doing to every time you want to plink? thanks for the info

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    As I understand it ,You only need to remove two screws ,one from the stock and the other from the barrel lug holding the barrel in place ,then switch em out . The Ruger 10/22 are made to replace barrels quickly.

10. Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy New Member

State:
    Modesto, Ca
    223reload,
    Who makes the barrels?
    And thanks for the comments on my Savage 10X posting.
    Ed

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm not sure of the Mfg,Ed . But I've seen them advertised in Cabelas,Cheaper than Dirt and Sportsmans guide at times . also in a few web sites for rimfire shooting.

12. smokeeater3302

smokeeater3302 New Member

State:
    il
    I was under the impression that you have to switch the hammer and main spring as well . It might be with the .17hmr only , but you might want to look .What is the velocity of the mach 2? i know it has a flatter arch , but what about energy at say 50yds? I I am wrong please let me know about the hammer and main spring thing .

13. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN
    Smokeeater,

Don't know about the energy at 50 yds. But, here are 3 links that you can compare the 17 mach 2 with the 22 LR standard velocity and the 22 LR high velocity.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ballistics/17_mach_2.html

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ballistics/22_longrifle_stndrd.html

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ballistics/22_longrifle_hivel.html

14. smokeeater3302

smokeeater3302 New Member

State:
    il
    I have a remington that is chambered in the .17 rem mag round . I have shot some coyotes and a few crows with it , and it is just devistating what that little thing can do . But I think that load shoots like 4300-4400 fps . What does a box of mach 2 cost ? I think that I would like to try one out

15. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN
    It can range (approximately) from around $3.75 to $7.00 per box of 50, depending upon what manufacturer and who you order it from. Cheapest price I have found is at J&G for some Remington ammo in the 17 mach 2 for $3.69 per 50 round box. But, of course, you need to consider shipping charges etc.

16. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN
    Hi Guys,

Just converted my Ruger M77/22 to a 17 HM2 (today). Haven't had it to the range yet, for grouping. Will post some pix of groups in the not to distant future, hopefully tomorrow, depending upon weather (lots of rain here right now).

17. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the post,Mike. I'll be watchin ,hope it groups well.

18. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN
    Well Guys,

Took the new 17 Mach 2 conversion to the range yesterday. I shot a bunch of rounds and mostly I was very disappointed. After initial sight in at 25 yards, I shot numerous 5 shot groups at 50 and 100 yards, using 3 different ammos. I was not pleased with anything. The best groups (although not good) were with the Eley ammo at 50 yards. But, one thing though, it was a very windy day, with a lot of strong gusts. Also, I cleaned the barrel after every 5 rounds. I think something is not quite right here. This is a match grade barrel, so it definitely should shoot much better than what I was seeing. I have checked scope, rings etc etc and everything seems to be in order. So, maybe the wind was the culprit. But, it may be that I will have to put a bunch of rounds through it to get it seasoned before it will start grouping. Anyway, I have a few other ideas up my sleeve and if weather permits within the next few weeks, I will test them out. Anway, here are the best 3 groups I got yesterday and I am certainly not proud of them.

Attached Files:

19. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN
    Shilen, Lilja and Green Mountain to mention just three that I am aware of. And, I think there are a few others.