17 December Fishing Trip

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by speciallibXO, Dec 10, 2006.

1. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Current planning has the Special Liberty getting underway next Sunday. We'll be launching out of Marshall Hall, at least that's the current plan. Looking to get a 50+ lber into the boat now as the current boat record is 47lb. We're close, but not there yet. Hope to hear from you guys and see you out on the river.

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Guys as of right now my plans put me out there both days maybe we will run into each other.

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    good luck with next week catch! What body of water is that your fishing?

bayrunner ray

4. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    The Potomac, just below Washington DC. We can see the Capitol and the Washington Monument from most of our spots.

5. Anythinggoes

Anythinggoes New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Good luck to you both! Once the busy season for me ends this month, I'll be hopefully getting some time to hit the water myself. Right now, my spare time is out in the woods stocking my freezer. You guys are really getting me pumped up consistently catching big fish. Congrats!

Mike

6. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Weather looks like it is holding up for some 60 degree temperatures into the weekend. That's barring any cold Canadian air getting pushed down or a snowstorm that pushes across the US (my wife would actually love for that to happen). But, as always the weather is very dynamic around these parts and I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed.

7. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Weather forecast has this weekend looking better every day that passes. Still looking to go out on Sunday. Right now it's saying 67 degrees for the forecast. Can't believe that in the middle of December we're getting this kind of weather.

8. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Still looking good. The storm from the NW shouldn't be here until wednesday. So looking good so far. Any updated reports on the river? Looking to put in at Marshall Hall and run north.....

9. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    So come on how was the fishing guys lets see the report.

10. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Ended up not going. Tawn was feeling under the weather. Also had a Christmas party Saturday night that lasted way into the wee hours. So the crew wasn't feeling totally up to speed. Hopefully we'll be able to get out there in the next couple of days. Today would have been fantastic seeing how the temps were in the mid 70s.

I'll throw out another post as soon as we nail down a day and hopefully we can catch each other out there.

11. special liberty

State:
    Maryland
    I'm still getting over a wicked headcold but we're gonna take a diehard offshore fisherman coworker out with us tomorrow, 20 Dec, and try and introduce him to some real fishing. We'll work the area between Marshall Hall and the WW Bridge. Any news on river conditions would be appreciated.

12. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    When I came off the water yesterday at 6pm there was some small debris and some grass globs(sp). Temps were from 42.3 to as high as 44.7 according to mine. I posted another thread with my report of the day. Who knows, I might see you out there. I've been planning on taking a good friend of mine for some time now and tomorrow is as good as any to me. Hope this is helpful. Later for now---jonnycat

13. special liberty

State:
    Maryland
    Thanks for the info - was the grass drifting on the surface a problem. The last couple of time we got chased off our spot around the Ft Washington Light by huges beds of grass moving with the tide - couldn't keep our lines clear. As far as your cut bait - big or small chunks?

14. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    10in shad cut into 3 pieces and cut off the tail itself. The grass is troublesome but it ll plays its part. I try to watch for grass pods and move the pole to miss it as much as I can. The boat is ready to hook up in a short. If I'm out there we'll have to talk about it for a minute or two. High tide is around 7:41am according to the charts I use. Hope you have a good day. Later for now---jonnycat

15. special liberty

State:
    Maryland
    We should be putting in around 9-930 AM. We'll probably fish till around 2 pm. Like I said, we'll hit the mouth of Piscataway, around the 88 buoy and up towards Smoot Bay. Are you using a slip sinker rig in all the grass? I'm toying with the idea of putting a small cork on my leader to keep the bait up off the bottom a little. If you see us stop by and say hello.

16. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I start with an 8oz slide through egg sinker, then a plastice bead to protect the knot, then a heavy duty swivel, an 18in or less leader, then an extra large hook equivalent to Daiichi's 7/0 Chunk Circle or something like that. I will have to be off the water by noon if I go tomorrow to do a few things around here at home. I have a 16ft tri-hull with a 70 Johnson on it. Four-pole rod holder mounted across the back with baitcasters. I'll probably leave here around 6:30 if I do go. I search for bait over next to Ft Belvoir next to the cliff like hillside. If I'm able to get bait easily I'll be fishing somewhere between there and Ft Wash. Later for now---jonnycat