17.5 ft sea nymph

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by rasmotherman, Apr 6, 2009.

1. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    well i am going to do this 1 step at a time so i can keep her on the water. starting with the motor. where the wires go to the trans they grounded out and melted. i am thinking of using heavy extention cord to replace it. i cant afford the new cable. motor fired right up and goes in reverse but magnet would not kick it into forward. too much draw to get full power to it. got to get some solder and heat shrink. first pic is of the swollen casing second is the magnet

Attached Files:

2. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    this is what i am working with on the front deck. i want to tear out whats there and extend it to the console. i will replace the chair and put a step up to the deck. i have a stainless livewell being made now it will tuck up under the deck. forgot to send pic of boat so it is on there

Attached Files:

3. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    first pic is of new transom. i used an epoxy paint to seal it up. the second pic shows how much room there is for improvement. the floor is soft where they had a crappy plywood box mounted. they had 6 L BRACKETS RIVITED THROUGH THE HULL!!! i took it out and jb wet welded the holes (as suggested on here). i am going to replace the entire floor and add compartments. i hope to get the battery under there. they also had EVERY wire just laying on the floor. i will be putting in a fuse block. i am considering moving console to the center but not sure. i will update as i go. it is going to take some time but hope it is 100% by next spring. i am open to ideas and suggestions so keep em coming. i am a newbie and can use all the help i can get. thanks guys

Attached Files:

4. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    this paint is good but will be removing every rivet that isnt holding the boat together and wet welding it up. so my question is... what kind of paint do you guys suggest? maybe i could get hunter to paint it lol. that guy does some awesome work!

5. whiskerlover

whiskerlover New Member

State:
    St. joseph Missouri
    Great start on the boat Rick. I really like the way it is set up,you have plenty of room to move around.I am going to keep an eye on this one.

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I have no idea on the paint, I have a 19.5 ft Sea Nymph, I would love to paint it but I hear the Aluminum paint can get pricey...

As far as the console, if it were me I would not move it unless it was absolutley necessary. Its real easy to get excited when doing these mods, but sometimes removing too much can compromise alot of the structural integrity of the hull. That and sometimes you bite off more than you can chew, and spend more time building than fishing...LOL...Trust me I know from experience..That being said I do, and I am sure you do enjoy taking a boat and making it fit your needs. It is fun, just take your time, think things through, and do it right the first time if ya can. I haven't been able to figure that part out yet..:smile2:...Enjoy it though..:wink:..Once you get it out on the water you will see things that you want to do different, just keep that in mind. Good Luck!

7. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    i havent commited to moving console but have been considering it. with the deck coming back to there it isnt really going to free up any room. if it ever stops snowing i am going to go scouting highlandtown lake for some structure and cover:cool2:. after that i will start on the deck. I dont want this to cut into a single day of fishing. besides, I picked up a cover today so im broke

8. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Welcome to the wonderful world of boat ownership!:eek:oooh::smile2::wink:

9. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    found another problem with boat today! I took her out on the lake and winds were kickin up. 30lb of thrust on the troll wont do. had to fight to get her off the bank. i need an upgrade. do you guys prefer bow or transom mount? the one i have is trans mount.

10. grandfisher

grandfisher Member

State:
    missouri
    Hello Rick. I have a 1983 Sea Nymph similar to yours and it will make a great catfish boat once it's rigged. As for the troller, I like a bow mount but I throw a 16 cast net and it sometimes gets in the way. I took the bow mount off and thought about putting a transom troller on but for the last 1 1/2 years I've just been doing without a troller and I haven't really missed it. Depends on the type of fishing you do. I do have some ideas that will save you a fortune on rod holders. As long as you have access to a chop saw and a mig welder. I'll try to post some pics soon. Good luck on your project.

11. HAWGBUSTER

HAWGBUSTER New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    Thanks for the post. This is my first reply so I hope you give me some grace on it here. I've modified 4 boats so far and am starting on my 5th as I write. If I can give you any advice it would be this. keep the weight as light as possible, counter-balance everything, use anti corrosive agents on all wires and seal wood surfaces with fiber glass resin, regardless of the boat being covered or garaged. The sun is just as much an enemy as rain. S/S or aluminum fasteners only in aluminum and always put in an inexpensive bilge with a 3/4 float switch. Good luck and I'd be happy to answer any questions I can. Enjoy yourself, I love doing them. HAWGBUSTER

12. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    welcome, you are a brother now! thanks for the advice. keep posting ideas as they come i will need all the help i can get

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The only thing I disagree with here is using fiberglass resin.
    Fiberglass resin was never concocted aas a waterproofer or to bond with wood.
    It's sole purpose in life is to lay up glass. That is it.

I been messing with boats a long time and I can tell you the number one reason for sole failure in a boat. Fiberglass resin.
    It's what these manufacturers have on hand, it's cheap, and the brain dead can take a roller and roll it on to a sheet of plywood without having to teach him a new trick with a more expensive product.

The reason it comes off in hunks is because it doesn't bond. What aggravates that poor bond? The stuff aint nowhere close to waterproof. Not even in the same zip code as waterproof. When water permeates it, it lays inbetween it and the wood. Perfect enviroment for wet rot.

You want water proof you'll have to spend a little more money and get some boat building epoxy. Like I said I been doing this a long time as an interest, hobby, and fascination that has carried over to building boats from scratch.
    I can assure you that man has tried every conceivable way to get around buying epoxy without good results. WHen you pit these other products against epoxy, the epoxy will win hands down every time.

You will never pull a sheet or hunk of epoxy off of a piece of plywood. It aint happening BECAUSE epoxy was engineered to bond with wood.

Saw a nice sailboat an old man built. It was a larger day sailer. Awesome work on the boat but it had been sitting for 3 years in his garage untouched and unpainted.
    I didnt have to ask why. I could see it. Huge fiberglass blisters on the hull.
    He used fiberglass resin to lay glass up on wood. It debonded sitting in a garage.
    I wouldn't know where to begin to get that project back on track. Sadly the boat will probally never be finished BECAUSE he tried to justify using a cheaper product that was wasn't designed to do what he was wanting.

Makes about as much sense to paint a barn with indoor latex.

For folks dropping in plywood floors.
    If the existing floor was glassed into the hull at the edges. Glass in the new floor. It's structural. I glass mine in regardless for one reason. It keeps water from traversing across the edges of plywood even though that edge has 3 coats of epoxy.

Put some glass on that wood. If you glass it with something light like 4oz or 6 oz cloth using epoxy you've got a floor with great protection from scrapes, bangs, or dents that would cause damage and water intrusion otherwise.
    Fiberglass is like body armor for wood.
    Using fiberlgass you can sometimes use thinner base material especially if you are foaming too.

Wood choice. If you use domestic plywoods definately glass it because if you don't it will check. When it checks it allows water into it's interior. Epoxy will not prevent checking. Epoxy and glass will.
    If you use an offshore made marine plywood checking isn't an issue.

Last piece of advice. Stay out of the auto parts stores and boat stores for glass, epoxy, and other related products. You can buy ALOT CHEAPER online from boat building websites.
    Leave the Bondo on the cars. Another shortcut that dont work.

I've got a 14 foot fiberglass skiff that I beautifully overhauled.
    My beautiful overhaul lasted all of about 2 years. I did it all wrong using the wrong materials.
    I have a valid excuse though. There was no internet with years of reading on the subject available.
    I speak from EXPERIENCE and FAILURE.

Last, I often hear the excuse of well, I'm only going to keep it for a couple of years so it only needs to last a couple of years.
    WRONG answer. Don't ever stick anybody else with your mess. It sucks to pay for a boat to figure out later you got stuck. You paid for a boat that you got to majorly remodel. No different then selling a car you know needs a ring job bad but you poured a bottle of that motor honey in it so atleast it wouldn't smoke while the fella looked at it in your driveway. Surprise! Surprise!

If you use the right products and keep the weight out of it, you take pictures of the entire process. You scrap book it. you take pictures of the product cans, the glass, etc.
    When you are selling the boat this is a sales tool. Look, this is what is in the boat, this is how it was done, and this reference goes with the vessel.
    It adds value to the boat where using the wrong materials takes value away.

The best way to learn anything is through failure. My suggestion is that it is a helluva cheaper if you learn quick.

14. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    well trolly took a crap so had to bum around for a new one. i got a johnson bow mount for her now. the rebuild has been put on hold. the mill was supposed to be up and running by now but word is i no longer have a job. permanent layoff now. might have to do some smaller stuff on the cheap. thanks for all the advice guys. hopefully i will get to use it soon:sad2: