17' 1966 renken project

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by kidfishingmaster, Oct 14, 2008.

1. kidfishingmaster

kidfishingmaster New Member

State:
    ohio
    well i just got the boat in the garage i was going to sell it but my buddy wants to help me turn it into a catfish boat i was just wondering what should i do first with it i want to have a bait tank and livewell for tournaments. it is a closed bow so i dont have any room upfront we are going to start first with a new floor and carpet then get everything set up any ideas to make it more catfish friendly

2. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    post some pics of it, I'm sure you will get lots of people with some ideas once they see it.

3. kidfishingmaster

State:
    ohio
    here are just a couple pictures let me know if you need anymore

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i prefer an open bow but you have to work with what you have!! besides the lack of room up front to anchor i dont see anything wrong with it...

5. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    that is a great looking project good luck from me and markj

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I notice ya mention MarkJ every other post.. :eek:oooh:

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I'm just wondering about the front end, is that heavy enough to walk on? do ya have any idea if it is there for "looks" or more for structure of the boat? meaning could you cut "hatch" holes in it and set you live well/bait well up there, they sure would be out of the way..... Maybe put your fuel cell up under there? just some thoughts......

8. kidfishingmaster

State:
    ohio
    yea my brothers girlfriend is going to recover the seats for me this weekend and monday im going to start on the floor.. i was also considering putting a livewell up there what size should if be?

9. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    That boat has a lot of potentials, cut out the wind shield and make an 1/2 wind shield cut out the front deck and lower it, put your gas tank up front and storage up there and then build your live and bait wells in the back

10. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    that would depend on what type of fishing your planning on, ie., tournaments, or what not 75-100 gallon, I would just go as big as I could and still keep the boat safe, before you put anything up front, do a little figuring and figure how much weight you can run up there with out effecting the handling of the boat......

11. kidfishingmaster

State:
    ohio
    yea i plan to fish more tournaments now that im back in ohio if i removed the bow and put up some kind of supports do i have to have one at all?

12. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    You have a boat with potential. I rework an old Sea Star a few years ago and it turned out nice for cat-fishing. I don't do the tournament thing so I didn't bother with a live well and use a cooler for a bait well. If I can manage I'll post some pic later. Might give ya some ideas:wink:

13. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill