1648 is it enough?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by kctinner, Nov 26, 2007.

1. kctinner

kctinner New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have a 16 ft monark jonboat and I was wondering if this boat is enough for the Kaw or Missouri it has a 25horse mercury on it i have tore out the plywood floors and replaced them with alum. sheets,had to raise the transom 5" right now im in the process of building a console and setting up electrical system.This is the first boat ive set up by myself so any ideas on where and how i should arrange things would sure help.

2. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Cory, I just bought a 16 ft polar kraft just like a tracker bass boat. I plan on fishing the MO, Miss, Ohio and the kansas which is just a few miles from my house. Mine has murc, 35 . So you have plenty of boat.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got a Lowe 1648 that I plan to use on the Mississippi, but I've got a larger boat to use if I ever get it rigged up.

4. carpdoctor

carpdoctor New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I used to have a 1648 then went to a large custom plate boat. I recently sold my large plate boat and am currently looking to get back to a small boat. If u get a 1648 get a open floor plan with a tall transom. The short transom boats r a little scarey in rough water.

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    one thing I done when redoing the boat was to just get in it and put all your usual items that go on a trip, scratch a pic and kinda feel your self through the boat, you know what you use and don't, and where it will be better placed, then if ya write it down you have a little reference on what you thought that particular day, where you are comfortable with the stuff, rod holders cooler, storage, net ALL your items kind of give your self a pic to go from. easier to change before you install it :wink:. Have fun with your project!

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Some people wouldn't feel comfortable with the USS Kittyhawk on those rivers. I guess it all depends upon what type of sailor you are. If you panic easily, you'll probably only get to make one trip. LOL

7. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I HAD A 16/48 I USED in the tailwaters at fort loudon. i was comfortable going on top of the boils and shutting down and drifting out. got caught in swirls several times but i never cut the motor off till i was clear. if i got caught i would just put the motor in gear and pull out.

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    So true! At night only makes it worse for them people. Then add the carp factor it's just funny thinking about it.

A 1648 is plenty of enough boat and 25hp is about as min. I would go with on the missouri. You should be fine. Make sure you rig your rod holders to fish out of the back of the boat. It's really the only way to fish the river.

9. Big Ben

Big Ben New Member

State:
    De Soto MO
    I used a 1648 All-Weld and no problems I now have a 20' roughneck and love it the one thing I've learned is that no matter how big a boat you always wish it was bigger as far as setting up your boat I would suggest leaving as much open room as possible

10. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ben and Shucks have alot to say,I run a 1975 lowe with a1982 15 hp. Johnson SeaHorse,my first boat was a 14ft polarkraft wih the same motor,my uncle runs a 14ft Gruman with a 9.9 Evenrude.....I am not afraid to take my boat most anywhere but ther are days you just do not go out. "Experience is the best teacher considering what it cost it should be!!" 2ft idus always wanting a bigger boat is common but I do not see where you will not have enough boat to do the job just always use common sence and be as safe as you possibly can so you can do er again.I might add I run the Missippi the Skunk and the DesMion..........