16' sea nymph re birth

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by rasmotherman, Dec 28, 2009.

1. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    well i posted a year ago about re doing the boat but then was laid off and had to put it off. when i got the boat it had set in the woods for 2 years. there were 2 soft spots in the floor that became potholes as the year went by. once i unloaded all the deer feed, scents and urines i finally could get her in the garage. i ripped the deck up and was surprised at how well built the boat is. she is a sturdy girl. someone put 2 part foam in the bow of the boat. it is about 8" thich and was frozen solid. it has absorbed about 50 gallons of water. when i finally get it all up i will be putting that pink insulation back in. i didnt have the camera with me but i will take some tonight or tomorrow.
    the boat has ribs running every foot or so then it has large ribs running the length of the boat. perfect for attaching the deck to. whoever decked it before put 2x6's every few feet for support but it isnt necessary. i will be using 3/4" 5 ply which supports over 300# per sq foot on a 24" span. i am going to water seal it because glassing it is WAY out of my budget.
    i am hoping to get the front deck, hatches, flat decking in the back, and carpet for under $500. i am going to fix the wiring in my 40hp johnson and sell it. it is a great running motor but too many of the lakes have a 9.9 limit. i will use the cash from that to get me a 9.9. doing this will get rid of the console which will free up fishing space. im too scared to hit the mighty ohio in this boat anyways. a 9.9 will do just fine.
    okay i will get some pics and see if i can show yall the layout. more to come...

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Rick good luck on the boat project. Keep us updated and add some pics.

3. Atta boy Rick!!!!!! Nice thread, I am looking forward to the pics and work reports!!!!:big_smile:

4. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    the pics before i started are on my profile. tomorrow i will get some with the floor up. i wish i knew how to do that thing yall do where you draw on the pic what you want to do. basically there are 2 versions i am looking at. with or without an elevated back deck. hopefully i can find a good running 9.9 and not put a deck back there. if not im gonna be running this 40 horse and the best design will be a raised deck with jump seats hidden inside the deck. i will have more tomorrow.

5. Rick, I use windows paint program for editing the pictures with lines and arrows and stuff bro. I am sure ya can find it and download it, it might even be on your system.:big_smile:

As far as the elevated deck thing, it depends on the size of the boat. I prefer the hunkered down, below the gunnels deck like most boats have my size. Get's really shaky and dangerous with upper decks on small boats with limited width. And adds weight.

I think boats 18 feet or bigger with a wider width are safer to do that on, IMHO.:cool2:

6. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    at the floor it is 60" wide and it flares out to 70" at its widest point. from the factory it came with a front deck. i just want to extend the deck 3 feet. the deck is too short to sit comfortably and be able to work the bm trolling motor. you dont have room to turn and fish while trolling. IF i do a back deck i am going to keep it low maybe 16" high. really dont want a deck back there. im not big on bass fishin and it is comfortable like it is for cattin. what works out with my father in law is that he bass fishes in the morning while his kids are at school and i am at work and i go cattin while he is in bed by 8pm. i hate having to lay on your belly to get a fish in. im going to try that paint thing and give it a try.
    how long do yall think ply with thompsons water seal will last? the boat rarely gets rained on. i live 3 miles or so from the lake so as soon as it sprinkles i head in. it wont be garage kept but will be covered at all times.

7. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    okay it is a pretty simple design. i didnt put the rod lockers in but they will run down the sides. i will need them for stability. i dont know how these pics will turn out. i dont have a real steady hand anymore. too many years staring at a little green light.

Attached Files:

8. :smile2::tounge_out:

THAT'S A GREAT JOB, THAT HAD TO TAKE A WHILE!!! lmao!:smile2:

Really Rick! Good job!!!!!!:big_smile::big_smile:

9. That width should be fine my friend! You keep that boat covered and dry it should last quite a while. Do you have a livewell for it??:big_smile:

10. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    the boat has an inlet and outlet but they are placed wierd. im not sure if i will be buying cabelas livewell or if i will redneck me one. it depend on where it fits in the budget. i dont do tournaments and i only eat bass and crappie which i dont fish for often. i will be using it mostly to keep gills in. i just want to streamline this thing as much as possible. i didnt work on the boat today. no money to put kero in the heater and its cold out. i need to get that foam heated so i can get it out of there. it will be about 2 weeks before i can start getting lumber so maybe i started this thread a little early. my goal is to have it all finished by mid march so i can get right out on the lake.

11. Times are tough and money is tight bro, I know it. All the things I did to my boat I had laying around the garage or could get from work. I bought that 5 x 12 section of outdoor carpet with a 25 dollar gift card I got for x-mas for Home Depot. And I had to buy those posts for the rod racks. Sometimes it pays off to be a pack rat with this stuff. I think I may have something that will make your day brother, PM coming.......:wink:

12. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    here are some pics of the hull and the 2x6 braces that are coming out

Attached Files:

13. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    i guess i should fix that date stamp. here are the bow ribs, "floatation" foam frozen solid

Attached Files:

14. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    one of my concerns is this crack in the ribbing. it is near the bow and right where the most flex would occure. the front deck will also help with this. the second pic is the center rib and side rib near the transome. there is plenty to bolt to

Attached Files:

15. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    i showed my daughter the boat with the floor ripped up. she wasnt too happy about it. she told me i have to fix it NOW :smile2:

16. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    ain't but one way to say this .................. that pink insulation foam ain't safe for ur boat .................. the 2 part stuff is what u need to be safe, if u take on water and start sinking ..............

17. That's a mess there bro. If you were closer I would hook ya up with some good lumber. You are doing the right thing though bro.

So, the live well:

All welded aluminum. Heavy guage.
    15" wide, 10" high by 28" long.
    I would guess it would hold 5 or 6 gallons.
    Has a built in spray bar.
    The inlet nipple there on the side is 3/4 od.
    The drain piece I lost, just a standard thru hull plastic fitting.
    The top of the rails if you notice are square rolled so the splashing water stays directed to the bottom, all ya got to do is rig up a lid for it. The original was carpeted wood.

18. ...here is a close up of the built in spray bar.....

19. ...more close ups of the welded construction.:wink: