16 ft deep & wide alumacraft

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by catpound, Jun 17, 2007.

1. catpound

catpound New Member

State:
    Illinois
    This boat I bought is exactly what I wanted, its deep and wide (wide open) so I can fit all my fishing equipment in it. I have been planning on creating this boat i in a way that I can use it for bank pole fishing and setting trot lines. I love to catfish and will use it the majority of the time for catfishing. I would also like to have this boat set up in a way that I can use it conveniently to bass fish or crappie fish out of it if needed. I have planned on putting two seats in it, one on the back bench and one two thirds of the way to the front of the boat. these seats will be ones with pedestals so I can pull them out if needed. I recieved a nice depth finder and foot controlled trolling motor as gifts. I plan on putting storage space along with a livewell inside the deck and bench/boxes in the back. I have a few buddies who do aluminum work and will help me out with these things. I am excited to create in the most convenient way for myself. If anyone has any extra super idea's that they have on their boat let me know I will be more than happy to hear about them. Thanks fella's!!!

Attached Files:

2. auctionman

auctionman New Member

State:
    pa
    In planning your set up give consideration for good weight distribution. Don't overload one side with all heavy fixtures. Seat placement is also very important.

3. yogib

yogib New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You can never have too much dry storage IMO!

4. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    That was my mindset for awhile. Then I was looking for something one night and had to dig through sooooo much crap to find what I was looking for that I came home and did some serious simplifying. I got everything into one medium sized bag (not counting fishing rods). Simple is good IMO

Jon

5. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I have an 1648 Alumacraft almost identical to yours;

Take everything you think you need and put it in the boat. Do not worry about attaching anything yet. Arrange things like you think you would like to see them for use in day today fishing. You can use cardboard to simulate dry storage lockers and live wells ect. I would guess you will find half the crap you think you can't live without will be in you way 50% of the time. Try moving around the inside of the bat with all that stuff in simulated positions. Then try it in the dark with just a head light.
    Make a decision on what has to be in the boat and where then do your layout. I have taken the interior of my boat apart several times and I am still not 100% pleased. I could have saved BUKU time and money following this advice.
    As stated above be mindful of balance. Imagine a line down the center of the boat. Keep the weight as equal as possible on both sides. Remember live wells and bait wells get heavy fast when full of water.

Attached Files:

6. porkchopper

porkchopper New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Catpound I've got an alumicraft boat also but shallower, kind of in same situation .I am thinking about opening up the middle area by taking out 1 or 2 center benches and placing the floatation foam boards under a new plywood floor,then put storage on outsides. If you intend to multi species fish remember to bring appropriate tackle and stuff cause when away, If ya ain't got it with you it might as well not exist. I could'nt see your pics not enough posts yet ,I'll and get them in so I can .

7. catpound

catpound New Member

State:
    Illinois
    yeah thats a good idea riddleofsteel, I think i will try that and see what I come up with. Just like you i'm sure I wont be 100 percent satisfied but i'm sure the idea will get me alot closer than trying to imagine in my head how it should be arranged.

8. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    My problem is that I always take so much stuff that I think I need but never use. I think Jon is right, the more simple you make it the better. I have always, hunting and fishing, think I might need this and that and then never get it out. I have learned to go through my tackle boxes and boat and trucks and take out about half of what I think I might need.
    Bill

9. luvforcatfish

luvforcatfish New Member

State:
    ms
    that is a very nice boat i wish that i could get me one like that.

10. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    we got tired of taking the bass/crappie and catfish stuff as w/ 2 of us in a 15' jon we were tripping over everything ..so we go for 1 species and hope they are biting.we took 1 bench out also and made a lot of extra space.we are now cutting into our front deck to add space for 1 battery and tackle

11. grumpygnome

grumpygnome New Member

State:
    Alabama
    It goes without saying but I'm gonna anyway...All your fasteners need to be stainless or aluminum. You will be tempted to grab whatever is handy but take the time to do it right and when you want to rearrange or modify, it won't be as difficult to undo.