16 foot boat

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by kidfishingmaster, Sep 5, 2008.

1. kidfishingmaster

kidfishingmaster New Member

State:
    ohio
    i just bought a 16 foot boat to use at catfish tournaments and what is the smallest sized outboard motor that i can put on it?

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    a trolling motor will work with a 9.9. Keep you within the 10hp restrictions on some lakes.

3. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I would not go under a 9.9 no matter what. But what I would ask myself is what is the max hp on the boat. Then what type of water am I going to be running on. Lake, river. strong current, light current, no current. Most 16 ft boats are rated for 25 hp at least. If you can afford it I would not go under the 25hp. Just make sure you dont under motor it. That could get dangerous. Always SAFETY FIRST.

Tom

4. kidfishingmaster

kidfishingmaster New Member

State:
    ohio
    most of the tournaments that we fish are electric or 10 hp

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Just depends on the boat, and your fishing circumstances. I run a 25 on my Carolina Skiff J-16.
    BB in SC

6. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I run a 25 HP Honda on my 1648 Jon. It's not a speed demon but it will get up on plane and move out.

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A buddy of mine has a 16' welded john boat with a Tohatsu 9.9 on it. It is no speed demon, but on a lake it gets around fine. I wouldn't put it in any real current though.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Obviously, you don't want to go with an outboard larger than 10hp, because you wouldn't be able to use it in your tournaments. But I wouldn't go any lower, either. When we moved back to Arkansas, I started catfishing using my father-in-law's 14' jonboat and 6hp Mercury. It got me around better than a trolling motor, but that's all that I can say good about it. Slow and steady may have won the race between the tortoise and the hare, but it sure eats into the fishing time on the water. As soon as I was able, I bought a 16' jonboat with a 9.9 on it. Fishing alone, that was big enough to get me up on plane, which made all the difference in the world. Later, I moved up to a 15hp, which was even better, but that wouldn't be suitable for your situation. So, I'd go with the largest outboard I could manage, without going over the 10hp limit.

9. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Check for the namneplate rating which should be on the boat.
    All boats are not made nor rated the same.
    Not exceeding this rating will keep you out of trouble with the game warden.