15hp 4 stroke merc

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by craddock1, May 30, 2008.

1. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    i have a 15 hp 4 stroke stren drive mercury on my jon boat. It pulls hard to the right. I think it is in the torque of the motor as i can have it in neutral and feel the pull and release the handle and it will turn hard right. can anything be done. thanks in advance.

2. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    On the bottom of the cavitation plate above the prop there should be a lil fin that can be turned if you loosen the pivot bolt. This is the torque tab. Loosen the bolt and rotate it "in" the direction of the torque steer, a lil at a time til you get neatral feedback through the tiller handle.

3. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    Thanks for the advise. I looked and there is no fin on this motor. I can not see where it might be. I looked at a couple of other motors in the neighborhood that had the fin but mine doesn't. my neighbor said the 15 is too small to have it.

4. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ok, here is another option. Go to Cabelas website and go to the Boating section. Then go down the list to Outboard and Accesories. Click on Trolling Plates and Stabilizers. Then click on the StingRay Stabilizers.
    The StingRay XP Junior will fit your 15 horse. They offer Torque Equalizer Tabs that attach to the bottom of the stabilizer and can be adjusted to do the same thing I told you about earlier. It will help that 15 horse get you up on plane quicker and at lower speeds, and save fuel by doing so. It also helps eliminate cavitation. The torque equalizer tabs should solve your torque steer. I have the XP Senior on my 40 horse, its like a different motor, well worth the money.
    The StingRay XP Junior is $49.99
    The Torque Eliminator Tabs are $15.99
    I hope this helps, good luck. WRB

5. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    thanks for the help. I will give it a try. my boat has never plained out. I just figured it was because I was so heavy. maybe this will help on that too,