1500hd

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by cumberlandcat, Sep 13, 2007.

1. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have a 2003 gmc crew cab hd. The passenger window started acting up a few months ago was real slow and then sometimes it just wouldn't work and then a few weeks ago it just stopped working. I am wondering before I tear the door apart and end up with a rattle for rest of the time I own the truck if it is probably the motor or if you think it could just be a loose wire. If it is going to cost me 400 dollars I think I will do without for now. But anyones help would be great. Thanks

Cumberlandcat

2. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i have had the same problem in my 90 suburban. i ripped it apart and my motor was toast. i replaced it for fairly cheap. but it could be a bad connection or your switch is going out. but i would put money on the motor being shot. you can find then for a descent price. i think i spent less than 100 bucks for mine and that might be inflated. make sure that if you do take it apart and replace your motor that you ensure the window in in the track before you try to put it back up or down. i also learned this the hard way. good luck and if you need anything else let us know

3. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well I will give that try, I guess I will try to find a price on a motor. Thanks

4. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    From the sound of it I would have to say the motor is bad. Take the door panel apart first and unplug the connector at the motor. Take a test light and hook it to both wires at the connector. With the key on operate the switch both ways and make sure that there is power both directions. If there is you need a motor. If not you may have a bad switch or wiring. Also it doesn't hurt to spray a little lubricant in the window tracts now and then.

5. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thats what I was looking for I didn't want to replace it if there was at least a way to check the motor first, thanks

6. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Its most likely the motor for the window itself, dont be afraid to take the door apart, just be sure to be careful and get the tabs you need to reinstall the door panel. You'll spend maybe 3-6 dollars for the tabs plus the cost of the motor. Check all the wires, see if any are water logged and the wires shield has came of and could be grounding out the connection or just plain loose. Should only take 30 minutes to an hour tops.

7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i have a simple test you can use to check a window motor. open the car door, watch the dome light carefully. operate the switch. notice the domelight slightly dimming???? if so, the wiring, switch and power and ground have been verified. it has a bad motor. one other thing. holding the switch in the down position and bang on the door panel. usually it'll start working again temporarily.