1500 vs 2500hd chevy

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by Seth, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    What's the big difference's between the two? I know you get the 6.0L vs the 5.3L when you jump to a 2500hd, but at would it before worth the loss of fuel economy? A buddy and his brother both have 2500's with 6.0's and the best they have managed are 14 mpg on longer road trips. Another friends parent's have a couple of 5.3L regular cab stepside Chevy and GMC trucks that have hit 20 mpg before.

Would it only be worth getting a 2500 if you plan on hauling heavier stuff or do they ride a lot better during general driving also?

2. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    unless you are going to be hauling heavy loads the 2500 wouldnt be my choice, the 1500 will ride smoother under normal driving also, and should tow about any boat with ease

3. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Seth, i'm a ford guy, the diff in a f150 & f250 is the axle and suspension, you can get whatever motor you want.

4. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I have one of each. The 2500 has quite a bit more clearance and is a long bed
    ext cab. The 1500 is a short bed and is my wife's rig. The miles per gallon is about what you have in your post. The 2500 will haul or pull anything you want but you will have to judge if it is worth it to you. I have a motor-grader and tractors and need to haul and pull big loads at times so I have to have the

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    If you ain't working with the 2500 then you are wasting gas.

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    :roll_eyes:I have both Work tk./transportion 12 mpg vrs. 20 mpg

7. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    get smart...buy a ford!!!:wink::big_smile:

8. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    IF you want to go with the 2500 get the Durajunk/ Allison combo and you' ll get 18 to 20 mpg and be able to haul whatever you want.
    If you want a real engine get a Powerstroke!!

9. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    I would buy a cummins..........I have an 06 2500 dodge cummins and i get between 19 and 23 mpg depending on driving habbits and load but i also have a chip and this is hand caculated not what the overhead thingy says

10. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Yeah after puttin in all my upgrades the "overhead thingy" is way off:smile2:.

11. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I like the looks of the f250 crew cabs. My buddy has one and it's one the most comfortable trucks I've road in. Only problem is his 6.0 stroker vapor locked on it him so it's getting fixed right now. :eek:oooh:

Last year, we took his truck on a hunt through some hilly country and managed 18mpg round trip. He's got a chip of some sort in it too I know, but not sure which one.

12. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    The 6.0s have had constant problems I'll have to say. I don't know why people have to change whats always worked. As for me I have the last year (02)F-350 with the all time dependable 7.3L. Not so good on the diesel, even worse with the 4:10s in the boxes, but it'll always crank up and pull the load:wink:

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    my Crewcab 4x4 2500 HD gets 12 to 13 MPG hauling our camper and towing our boat.
    Empty around town 18 to 20 MPG,. Long trips 23+
    1/2 ton will not haul what the 3/4 ton can and also can not tow as much by the books.
    Here is what I tow and haul and mine does not know its there. Ohh It also has the best motor trans also Duramax/ Allison
    Pete
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/Okanagan 811-SL/Novtrip002.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/Okanagan 811-SL/camper109.jpg

14. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Hey Pete does that rig sway? I saw a Guy driving down the road with one and it looked awfuly top heavy.

15. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Matt It does not sway a bit. I am sure there's some out there that does. But also bet his sidewalls of his tires were not stiff enough also. Or a camper that was not for the truck he was using. A long bed camper in a short bed truck,. Will put the weight in the wrong place also.
    I seen one after we got outs. And the guy had put new tires on.And they would have been better on a car. Sure were not rated for his truck or camper. I also have 5000 lb air bags on mine also.
    And if the shocks are bad one may sway..
    I have had mine 75 a few times on the interstate. I know dumb and 2 fast. But it was that or get ran over. And it handles just like the truck does without the camper.
    Pete