150 pounder - Are there any 150 pound catfish left?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catoon, Mar 29, 2009.

are there any 150 pounders left

1. yes

2. no

3. not sure

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    do any of you think there are any 150 pounders left for us to catch or are they a thing of the past

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I think there are a few left. It will probabley be in some lke that is not fished very much.

3. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    There are plenty and some even bigger ..i hear of a lot of people having their reels striped of all the line..I have had the same thing happen..

When you target a fish like that you must be prepared for a 1 mile run,,.
    I have had 45 lb fish take 250 yards of 65lb line 4 times ..Just imagin what a fish in top shape and 150 lb could acomplish...

Have had many 9 ought oshanseys straightened, never to see the fish ..
    They are out there..

4. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    I think there are 150 pounders out there. I don't think they are common, but I believe they exist. I've been spooled twice on pretty stout gear by fish that I estimate were a lot bigger than 100 pounds. They just took off and there was pretty much nothing I could do to stop them. On the other hand it's hard to say. You would think something that big would be caught with the sheer amount of folks that target big catfish. Gear has become so specialized these days and with so many catfisherman using stout saltwater gear you would think that one could/would be caught. As far as the catfish as big as cars that divers see below everyone's home dam or spillway, I think thats nothing but BS. Great thread. I sure wish I could be the one to answer that question with proof!

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I believe if the fisherman practice CPR on the big fish caught, they'll have a chance of reaching enormous size and weight. I surely believe there is some 150 plus blues and flatheads existing. Will they be caught? Only time will tell. :wink:

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I base my answer on yes, because of the fish that our BOC brother, Radish, caught and released a year or so back. We all would have liked to have know its total weight.

7. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I think there are many places a 150 pound blue could exist. There is documentation of 300 pound blues caught back in the old days. I don't know how true this is, but i tend to believe they are out there. Lakes like Santee, Texoma, Tawakoni or rivers like the mighty Mississippi or James could support these monster fish. I know there are many other waters out there that will support them, but these are the first that came to mind. Catfish do not have a growth stopping gene, therefore they grow as long as they are alive. Keep practicing CPR and someone will eventually land one of these monsters.

8. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Heck yeah they still out there . I believe I have hooked into some 100+ fish . If not they was the meanest 99 pounders out there ......lol

9. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Gotta agree wholeheartedly. As big as that one was, i wouldn't be afrad to say there is bigger also. but that is the fun of it. The next cast could very well be "The One".:wink:

10. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Well, its an interesting thought, but I heard that all fishermen lie so its hard to tell without actually seeing one even near that size. I've heard that they get pretty big, I think the MN state record for a large one is near 100 lbs, but I've heard that in the old days they were bigger. Other states have bigger fish records, but I'd be happy to see someone catch a 100 lb fish, even if I don't catch it my self.

11. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I bet a BOC member will be the one to catch the beast:wink:

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I think there may be some closer to the 200 lb mark,But there are not many places that could support many of that great size,The few large waters that could are being hammered and sooner or later one will be caught.

13. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I beleive they are out there. Blues and Flatheads. A fish that size would be hard to catch, I think. The strength and power would spool many peoples reels....ever been spooled? I think you would need more than a couple hundred yards of line. Who knows how big some of them old catfish are hiding in the depths? It would be great if someone from the BOC caught one this year.:cool2:

14. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i personally dont think so,as heavy as the waters are fished these days i cant see how.Maybe years ago when catfishing wasnt as popular as it is now but not this day and time.Anywhere you go fishing now adays is people standing shoulder to shoulder with lines in the water.I think if there is one that could be caught that big i think it will be caught by someone in a boat,not from the bank.
    With technology the way it is with fish finders and such i dont think they have much of a chance to even get that large.Now after saying that i hope im wrong about this and am the one who catches the beast:wink:

15. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I beleive that there are plenty of them out there due to the simple fact that no one seems to be able to catch one (at least not catch it and document it). They're there!

16. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I think they are there, that is why they are 150 because, they are hard to catch, Im sure that maybe some of those broken lines and such may just be the doings of the huge master cats

17. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

why wouldnt there be they have been caught before.thats only 20 pounds or so bigger than the current world records on both the flathead and bluecat.many flatheads up and over 100 pounds are caught every year same with blues .150 pounds is out there maybe bigger. how big is the biggest cat in a place like the mississippi river?now theres a question to ponder.

18. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    What fish would that be? Any pics?

19. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
  20. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State: