150 mariner dont pee

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by catwhisper, Oct 24, 2009.

1. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    I might have made one of the biggest mistakes in awhile but i bought a 150 Mariner outboard and it wont pee with the muffs on. the motor cranks great and trottles up great but no water coming out the hole. i checked the hole for dirtdaubers and it was clear so i took the hose off at the motor and no water. could the waterpump be complettly gone? or could the themrostat be froze up or what? dont want to start tearing down something i dont have to. any advice? i think it is a mid-80's motor.

2. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    it needs a water pump first off , and check the thermo

3. Tim70

Tim70 New Member

State:
    Maplewood, Missouri
    Check the impellar. You should always check the waterpump on a new to me motor since you don't know when it was changed last. If you don't your new motor could quickly become an anchor. Probably should at a minimum throw an impellar in her. Sometimes they look fine but just don't pump water. I guess the veins stiffen up over time. I have had motors that don't pump and the impellar seems to be intact, threw a new one in and it pees like a champ.

4. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    do you really need a thermostat? i had a 65 johnson 72 yr model and the thermostat stuck so i took it out and never had a problem with it but that was a lot older motor.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Look at the wear plate and the cup that the impellelr rides on and if it has grooves then change out the whole pump. The grooves will let it gather air bubbles and send it through the cooling system and it won't cool properly.

Yes a T state is very importang for the enging to maintain the right operating temps. If it doesn't it will coke bad in the cylinders.

6. Tim70

Tim70 New Member

State:
    Maplewood, Missouri
    Sometimes you can order impellars with the base plate. If the housing is scored then you need to get a whole new kit. They are a little more expensive. It really just depends, if it has been run in alot of sand. Then the housing could be scored. if not an impellar or impellar plate combo should do the trick.

7. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    It cost me 325 to have my impellar changed and the rest of it gone thru. And the at full speed the oil injector line cracked and now I have no compression in the number 1 cylinder. I guess that's the way it goes.

8. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Ya know,I've seen and heard of so many problems with the oil injection systems breaking or running dry and quickly ruining a motor, There was nothing wrong with mixing my oil and gas in the tank and as long as it was getting gas it was getting oil,and if it wasn't getting oil then it wasn't running and ruining the engine.

9. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    the mechanic that i bought this motor from told me to mix my own gas. he also said to take the oil pump gears out because they would run dry and eventually eat it up. so when i get it peeing i will do that but right now i'm tring to get my pontoon set up to fish the tourney on the 7th. it is a cheaper fix for now. thamks for the input guys!