150 Hp Merc leaking gas

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Mid-MO fisherman, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Mid-MO fisherman

Mid-MO fisherman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Mo
    I have an 84 Merc 150. Today I was doing a few thing to winterize the motor. I noticed that after the motor has been in the up position for a while (30 min) and you tilt it down there is gas pouring out from somewhere on the motor. Looked at it a little and replaced a fuel line that looked damaged, but that didnt help the leak. Upon further inspection I removed the cover from the front of the carbs and noticed fuel leaking from inside the carb. Not sure from which part. When I tilted the motor up with the cover removed I noticed gas dripping from the bottom and middle carb. Does this mean I need to have the carbs rebuilt? While I have never had a carburetor apart and dont know much about them, I am able to learn and am somewhat mechanically inclined. Do you think a rebuild is a do-it-yourselfer? As always your advice and knowledge is appreciated.

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    im no mechanic for sure but i think when you trim a mer. up it dumps the carbs out but not sure.

3. Mid-MO fisherman

State:
    Jefferson City, Mo
    maybe so but i dont recall ever seeing it do this before. Just noticed it in the last month or so. I dont doubt what your saying but this thing is dumping a ton of gas. looks like a steady stream for 3 or 4 seconds.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Sounds like one of the needle ain't setting in the seat good enough to shut the fuel off. I would tear them down and soak them and rebuild them. You can do it with a good Manuel and a good digital camera to take pictures during tear down to assist in the redo.

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Merc carbs are sensitive to proper settings. Lots more to check and set in them than most others.

Do get a good manual for this project.

6. Mid-MO fisherman

State:
    Jefferson City, Mo
    Will definately get a manual and as always come to you guys for the best advice.:smile2:

7. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I have a old merc 115. The carbs are not to bad to rebiuld. Getting them off is what I hate.
    Bill

8. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    I've got a 2005 90hp merc and a mercury technician said they were infamous for dumping out the carbs when raised to put motor toter under... I noticed fuel run down from under the cowl and ask.. He said its going to happen.

9. Mid-MO fisherman

State:
    Jefferson City, Mo
    another related question, when it comes time to reset the carbs after rebuilding, what is the device called for getting the carbs in sync? I have done this before on a VW with dual carbs but the guy that owned the device is not one of my real good friends any more. Where do you think i would be able to purchase it? Also are there any other specialized tools that I will need to consider purchasing?

10. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Your manual will give you a starting point to set the carbs after rebuilding. A slight tweaking to rich or lean after that is about all you'll need. The manual will cover that also.

I've never needed the tool in question to set multiple carbs except on four stroke engines. I can't recall the proper name for this tool right now, but it hooks into the intake manifold through specially designed ports for doing the carb balance. No two stroke except Sazuki's have a place to hook up this tool.

The older ones had mercury in calibrated tubes to adjust for vacume at idle. The newer ones are electronic and cost around $800.00