15 horse to a 14 foot?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Catmaster, May 19, 2006.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I was wondering if a 15 horse outbord would be a little much for my 14 foot flatbottom. Does anyone have a boat in this situation? If so is it too many horses?

2. dademoss

dademoss New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Whats the max horspower on the rating plate? If it doens't have one, whats the width of the boat?

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    How wide is the boat? You know they make 14ft boats 36" wide that one I don't think I would put a 15 on it.
    Now if its 42" or better a lot of them were rated for that or bigger. I have a 1452 that is rated for a 30 Hp.
    Had a 1442 that was rated for 20 hp.
    Pete

4. JohnC

JohnC New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That shouldn't be a problem. I have a 14 footer,five foot wide that had a 25 hp motor on it. I seen a formula for making this determination. 2 x(length x beam width) - 90= HP rating. I think it is based off of a 20 inch transom I believe. I will double check to make sure that is correct.

John

5. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Pete is right, I have a 14ft. that is almost 15ft. (14.9) it's extra wide and extra deep. I weigh 220lbs. and I can get up and walk around in it without tipping the boat. It's rated for a 30 horse, but I run a 20 and works just fine for me. I'm sure it would work but you might get in trouble if you get checked/inspected. If you can't read the plate, check with the manufacturer for suggested rate.
    Don

6. JohnC

JohnC New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The formula I posted is correct. I believe it came from the USCG website. I would still check with the manufactuer to make sure. Unless she is really skinny you should be fine.

John

7. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
  8. oldnndway

oldnndway New Member

State:
    Texas
    Shoot man, you'll knock a hole in the wind with that rig.

A 15hp on a 14 ft flatbottom is as close to perfect as you can get (20hp is a touch closer)

9. feetdown

feetdown New Member

State:
    ohio
    depending on the boat width you can get away with a little extra. A buddy of mine just put a 60/40 jet on his 15'er......talk about walking on water.................

10. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    It'll be fine,you can always throttle down if you get too high in the air.no-one ever said "I wish I had less money,a smaller fish,or less horsepower"

11. brushpile

brushpile New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I agree with the "more is better" when it comes to HP on a boat as long as you are in the "legal" hp range for your boat. I had a 1542 with a 15 hp when I was younger and it wasn't "overpowered" at all.