15-20lb Catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by MattyGfishing, Mar 9, 2009.

1. MattyGfishing

MattyGfishing New Member

State:
    Hawaii
    What is 12lb line to light for em'. (No cover or snags to get caught on.)

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    :wink:You better have a good drag system and alot of line! but yes it can be done

3. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    I go a lot heavier than that. I'm after big ones and I want to be able to handle the unexpected. Open water makes a big difference so the gear can be a lot lighter. Have fun.

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    yup what Steve said...give me my heavey gear so they dont have a chance (LOL)

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i'd go with some heavier line, i'd rather be over prepaired and use heavy line then be under prepaired and get broke off:wink:

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use 20 lb Ande ,no matter what. I figure some day I'll loose a fish,but thats part of it,Right. The area of the Ar river I fish in Oklahoma can yield big fish,My pb is just 17.5 lbs. My father in law however has caught bunches of big flats and blues up to 70 lbs. He only uses 20 lb mono. I believe its all in your knoweledge of the gear you use ,not in showing that you have supierior gear.

7. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    i agree. you don't need to have overkill, though it does lessen the chance of your line snapping. if you know how to work your drag you'll be fine. it's the snags that will get you if you do run into one.

8. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    If you got nothing to get snagged up on, as long as ya got a good drag, plenty line and a rod that will bend to take the pull, I'd say even 8 lb would do it. I caught channel cats in a lake, no snags there but gotta be careful not to let em get wrapped up in someone's dock. I had 8 lb line, and a light 7' rod. Bring em in, let em run, and let the rod and drag do the work. I don't catch real monsters but have caught pretty good sized ones on ultra light gear. Loosen the drag when they get close so they don't snap your line or rod on a final run. Also cut about 3' of line off the end to keep the very end fresh. That keeps the end from being worn out and breaking at the worst moment. Its more exciting than fishing with real heavy gear when ya get small ones. If you're after the big ones, or in snags then use heavier gear.

9. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    light tackle like that should be real fun good luck

10. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    you can do it with 12# line but you have to know how to play them and have your drag set right.Instead of horsing it in you have to use more fineness.When i was a kid we used to catch them with zebco 33s and 8 to 10 pound test line,you just have to know what your doin,and a little practice.

11. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I've foul hooked a 30 lb. Big Head carp once on a light spinning reel spooled with 12 lb. test Stren and landed him, it was one of the funnest, longest and hardest fights I've ever had.

But to more thoroughly address your question. 12 lb. Line would be good for pond and lake channel cats. I would be sure to check my line for knicks and frays though, and make sure my drag is set so that when I pull moderately hard it lets out line. Also play the fish well, don't try to hog em in. Let the fish take what he will and take what he gives.

12. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    As has been said before, for smaller ponds and lakes that should be fine but for the big ones, you should go bigger. Having said that, you cant argue with the millions of people that have landed whoppers on Zebco 33s with crappy line. lol

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Why risk the chance of losing a fish of a lifetime? It's not like catfish are line shy like trout and you need to use light line.

Beef up your line! It's not bass fishing! For catfishing, I use a minumum of 20lb mono or braid for channels. At least 30lb for flats and blues.

You'll never know when Gorilla catfish take your bait and losing it because you are using the wrong tackle.

14. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Like Blacky said,
    Catfish are def not line shy. I have had 8lb fish break 20lb test cuz i had a nick in it that i did not know about.
    I have also had a fish take me to timber that I could not turn with my 65lb braid. There was nothin I could do to turn that fish.
    I use 12lb for my buffalo and carp fishing. But that is for bait, and i catch alot over 20lbs with 12lb test. I am not gonna get really upset if a buffalo or carp breaks off but I do not like to lose a catfish.

15. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I fish with 25 pound big game mono for all of my big blue catfishing. I like the mono because it allows for a few more mistakes, I take a lot of kids fishing. I have been broke off just a few times, and have landed many fish over 50 pounds on the 25# test. I fish timber and open water, and like the mono the best. Just my opinion and I know that many will disagree with me. I tried the braids several times, and just didn't like them.

16. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Cathog,
    I would have completely agreed with you a couple yrs ago. But I drift fish alot, and I needed atleast 2oz to get baits to 40ft at .2mph with a good 50lb braid i can use 1.25 oz and get the bait down there and keep it there. I will use a "shock leader" tied onto my braid with a "crazy alberto knot" when anchored just to give a little bit of stretch and cut on visibilty esecially in clear, shallow water.
    If you get a chance, you should come to Central Texas and do a little bit of fishing with me. I always have room on my boat for another BOC member.

17. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    12 lb should do it most of the time, just remember, the one you lose will be the one you wanted most. I use 20 lb. just to make sure the one I lose is really a good one.

Jim

18. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I don't know about you dudes but I absolutely flip out when I lose a fish. I hate that with a passion. I firmly believe that a person should fish with the strongest line their gear can handle.

I agree with you on the lower water resistance of braid GMC. When I fish deeper holes with swift current from the bank the amount of weight required to hold when using 60pd mono is a little rediculous.

19. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I'm with the , " I don't wanna take the chance" folks. I see no need to use light line for cats, no matter where it is. Like mentioned , they aint line shy . Pictures bring memories...broken lines leave you wondering.

Back to the question...yes the line will hold a fish that big. Just remember, all it takes is one little tiny snag and its gonna snap.

Here is a nice blue I caught yesterday. ( I set the month wrong on the camera ) . Someone was using what I'm guessing was 12# mono that I cut off. The hook stayed, didn't rot, and started a hole and a infection on his mouth. I took the hook out, cleaned him up some and set him free.

http://usera.ImageCave.com/JimmyJonny/2009/100_3337.jpg

http://usera.ImageCave.com/JimmyJonny/BoC/100_3335.jpg

I bet this fisherman was wondering what the heck he hooked, LOL.

g'luck
    -Jim-

20. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I fish 65# PP, not for the fish I catch so much as the timber I snag.

With that, I get most of my rigs back...with 12#, I'd get nothing.

Where I fish, I'm not going to get a large fish out of there, anyway, unless I just happen to be holding the rod when he hits. Stump city.